Subsidizing Charitable Giving in a Field Experiment
This paper tests the effect of a matching mechanism on donations in a controlled field experiment. We match the donations of students at the University of Zurich who, each semester, have to decide whether they wish to contribute to two Social Funds. Our results support the hypothesis that a matching mechanism increases contributions to a public good. However, the effect depends on the extent to which the contributions are matched. Whereas a 25 percent increase of a donation does not increase the willingness to contribute, a 50 percent increase does have an effect. In addition, people need to be socially inclined to react to the matching mechanism. The field experiment provides some evidence suggesting that the matching mechanism crowds-out the intrinsic motivation of giving.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.econ.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1995.
"Models of Currency Crises with Self-Fulfilling Features,"
NBER Working Papers
5285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1996. "Models of currency crises with self-fulfilling features," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1037-1047, April.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1996. "Models of Currency Crises with Self-fulfilling Features," CEPR Discussion Papers 1315, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aumann, Robert J., 1974.
"Subjectivity and correlation in randomized strategies,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 67-96, March.
- R. Aumann, 2010. "Subjectivity and Correlation in Randomized Strategies," Levine's Working Paper Archive 389, David K. Levine.
- AUMANN, Robert J., . "Subjectivity and correlation in randomized strategies," CORE Discussion Papers RP -167, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Galor, O & Polemarchakis, H M, 1987.
"Intertemporal Equilibrium and the Transfer Paradox,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 147-56, January.
- Galor, O. & Polemarchakis, H.M., 1984. "Intertemporal equilibrium and the transfor paradox," CORE Discussion Papers 1984014, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- John Geanakoplos & Geoffrey M. Heal, 1982.
"A Geometric Explanation of the Transfer Paradox in a Stable Economy,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
651, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Geanakoplos, John & Heal, Geoffrey, 1983. "A geometric explanation of the transfer paradox in a stable economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1-2), pages 223-236.
- Forges, F., 1991.
"Correlated equilibrium and sunspot equilibrium,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1991053, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Timothy J. Kehoe, 1990.
"Computation and Multiplicity of Equilibria,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
309, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1994. "The Logic of Currency Crises," NBER Working Papers 4640, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeanne, Olivier, 1997. "Are currency crises self-fulfilling?: A test," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 263-286, November.
- DEBREU, Gérard, .
"Economies with a finite set of equilibria,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-67, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Richard C. Barnett & Eric O'N. Fisher, 2002. "Comment on: "Do Sunspots Matter When Spot Market Equilibria Are Unique?"," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 393-396, January.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521319867 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jeanne, Olivier & Masson, Paul R, 1998.
"Currency Crises, Sunspots and Markov-Switching Regimes,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1990, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeanne, Olivier & Masson, Paul, 2000. "Currency crises, sunspots and Markov-switching regimes," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 327-350, April.
- Lahiri, Sajal & Raimondos, Pascalis, 1995. "Welfare effects of aid under quantitative trade restrictions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 297-315, November.
- Balasko, Yves, 1978. "The Transfer Problem and the Theory of Regular Economies," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 19(3), pages 687-94, October.
- Gottardi, Piero & Kajii, Atsushi, 1999. "The Structure of Sunspot Equilibria: The Role of Multiplicity," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(3), pages 713-32, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zur:iewwpx:070. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.