Fiscal Deficits, Asset Prices and Intergenerational Distribution in an Open Unionized Economy
This paper focuses on intergenerational welfare effects of fiscal deficits in an OLG model with wage bargaining and equilibrium unemployment. Changes in wage and profit tax rates alter the intergenerational distribution by affecting capital accumulation as well as the price of a fixed asset. The welfare effect on the first old generation crucially depends on the tax instruments applied. The intergenerational welfare effects of postponing labor taxes are qualitatively similar to the effects in a model without unions. Increased union power will depress output and the asset price, but the sign of the welfare effect in steady state is nevertheless ambiguous.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark|
Phone: (+45) 3532 4411
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk/epru/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Devereux, Michael B. & Lockwood, Ben, 1991.
"Trade unions, non-binding wage agreements, and capital accumulation,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1411-1426, October.
- Michael B. Devereux & Ben Lockwood, 1989. "Trade Unions, Non-Binding Wage Agreements, and Capital Accumulation," Working Papers 743, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Kletzer, Kenneth M., 1991.
"The welfare economics of cooperative and noncooperative fiscal policy,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 215-244.
- Willem H. Buiter & Kenneth M. Kletzer, 1990. "The Welfare Economics of Cooperative and Noncooperative Fiscal Policy," NBER Working Papers 3329, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buiter, W.H. & Kletzer, K.M., 1990. "The Welfare Economics Of Cooperative And Noncooperative Fiscal Policy," Papers 612, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Kletzer, Kenneth, 1990. "The Welfare Economics of Cooperative and Uncooperative Fiscal Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 420, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985.
"Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-247, April.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467-467.
- Persson, Torsten, 1985.
"Deficits and intergenerational welfare in open economies,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 67-84, August.
- Torsten Persson, 1983. "Deficits and Intergenerational Welfare in Open Economies," NBER Working Papers 1083, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, December.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, December.
- Chang, Roberto, 1990. "International coordination of fiscal deficits," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 347-366, June.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Razin, Assaf, 1986. "Fiscal Policies in the World Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 564-594, June.
- Patrick J. Kehoe, 1986.
"Coordination of fiscal policies in a world economy,"
98, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Kehoe, Patrick J., 1987. "Coordination of fiscal policies in a world economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 349-376, May.
- de la Croix, David & Licandro, Omar, 1995. " Underemployment, Irreversibilities and Growth under Trade Unionism," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(3), pages 385-99, September.
- Broer, D. Peter & Lassila, Jukka, . "Pension Policies and Public Debt in Dynamic CGE Models," ETLA A, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy, number 23, October.
- Hoel, Michael, 1991.
"Union Wage Policy: The Importance of Labour Mobility and the Degree of Centralization,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(230), pages 139-53, May.
- Hoel, M., 1989. "Union Wages Policy: The Importance Of Labour Mobility And The Degree Of Centralization," Memorandum 05/1989, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Fried, Joel & Howitt, Peter, 1988. "Fiscal deficits, international trade and welfare," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 1-22, February.
- Lockwood, Ben & Manning, Alan, 1993. "Wage setting and the tax system theory and evidence for the United Kingdom," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-29, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kud:epruwp:97-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.