Deficits and Intergenerational Welfare in Open Economies
This paper deals with public debt in open economies, extending Diamond's overlapping generations model to deal with a small openeconor as well as an international eciuilibrium of two large economies. It focuses on the intergenerational welfare redistributions caused by an increase in the public debt triggered by a period of government budget deficit, and shows that these effects are markedly different in open and closed economies. The interplay between the deficits in the government budget and the current account is also analyzed. Here, it is shown how a single period with a deficit in the government budget can be followed by a seciuence of periods with a deficit in the current account.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1983|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Journal of International Economics, Vol. 19, No. 1/2, pp. 67-84, August 1985.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1981.
"Intergenerational and International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
0792, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sachs, Jeffrey, 1982. " The Current Account in the Macroeconomic Adjustment Process," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(2), pages 147-59.
- Barro, Robert J., 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Buiter, Willem H, 1981.
"Time Preference and International Lending and Borrowing in an Overlapping-Generations Model,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 769-97, August.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1979. "Time Preference and International Lending and Borrowing in an Overlapping-Generations Model," NBER Working Papers 0352, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1982.
"Aggregate Spending and the Terms of Trade: Is There a Laursen-Metzler Effect?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 97(2), pages 251-270.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1981. "Aggregate Spending and the Terms of Trade: Is There a Laursen-Metzler Effect?," NBER Working Papers 0686, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Razin, Assaf & Svensson, Lars E. O., 1983. "Trade taxes and the current account," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 55-57.
- Svensson, Lars E O & Razin, Assaf, 1983. "The Terms of Trade and the Current Account: The Harberger-Laursen-Metzler Effect," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 97-125, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1083. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.