The Real Exchange Rate as a Tool of Commercial Policy
This paper develops a dynamic, rational expectations model that generalizes both the standard, two-country, two-commodity model of real trade theory and the "dependent economy" model of open economy macroeconomics. This model is used to show how a variety of government policies can affect the real exchange rate (defined as the relative price of domestic goods in terms of foreign goods) and thereby replicate some of the effects of commercial policy. The policies considered include temporary and expected future shifts in the distribution of government spending, temporary general tax reductions financed by the issuance of government debt, controls on international capital movements, and policies that combine a fixed path of the nominal exchange rate and a fixed path of the nominal money supply (supported by sterilized official intervention in the foreign exchange market).
|Date of creation:||Mar 1985|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Mussa, Michael. "The Effects of Commercial, Fiscal, Monetary and Exchange Rate Policies on the Real Exchange Rate,"Economic Adjustment and Exchange Rates in Developing Countries, edited by S. Edwards and Liquat Ahamed. Chicago: UCP (1986)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- T. W.Swan, 1960. "Economic Control In A Dependent Economy," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 36(73), pages 51-66, 03.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Miller, Marcus, 1982.
"Real exchange rate overshooting and the output cost of bringing down inflation,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 85-123.
- Willem H. Buiter & Marcus Miller, 1991. "Real Exchange Rate Overshooting and the Output Cost of Bringing Down Inflation," NBER Chapters, in: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 239-277 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Miller, Marcus, 1982. "Real exchange rate overshooting and the output cost of bringing down inflation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 85-123.
- Willem H. Buiter & Marcus H. Miller, 1981. "Real Exchange Rate Overshooting and the Output Cost of Bringing Down Inflation," NBER Working Papers 0749, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buiter, Willem H & Miller, Marcus, 1981. "Real Exchange Rate Overshooting and the Output Cost of Bringing Down Inflation," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 204, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1984.
"Debt, Deficits and Finite Horizons,"
NBER Working Papers
1389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. E. G. Salter, 1959. "Internal And External Balance: The Role Op Price And Expenditure Effects," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 35(71), pages 226-238, 08.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1977. "A Model of Exchange Rate Determination under Currency Substitution and Rational Expectations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 617-25, June.
- Robert A. Mundell, 1960. "The Public Debt, Corporate Income Taxes, and the Rate of Interest," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68, pages 622.
- Razin, Assaf & Svensson, Lars E. O., 1983. "Trade taxes and the current account," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 55-57.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1983.
"Intertemporal Price Speculation and the Optimal Current-Account Deficit,"
NBER Working Papers
1100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1983. "Intertemporal price speculation and the optimal current-account deficit," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 135-145, August.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1975. "Alternative Price Stabilization Rules and the Effects of Exchange Rate Changes," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 43(3), pages 275-92, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1577. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.