Dense Communication and R&D in Knowledge-based Industrial Clusters: Comparative Study of Small & Medium-sized Firms in Korea and China
This paper presents analyses of the effects of dense communication of industry-academia-government cooperation on enhancement and reduction of in-house R&D activities using survey data of the Seoul Digital Industrial Complex, Daedeok Valley, and Zhongguancun Science Park. Our results show that older firms, presumably with more-experienced personnel, take more advantage of R&D cooperation in large metropolitan areas, whereas in-house R&D of less-experienced younger firms is not influenced greatly by external knowledge. In a science park that is distant from the economic core region, we identified that encouragement by local organization toward R&D by less-experienced younger firms has considerable influence.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2007|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Rokkodai, Nada, Kobe 657-8501 JAPAN|
Phone: +81-(0)78 803 7036
Fax: +81-(0)78 803 7059
Web page: http://www.rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tan, Justin, 2006. "Growth of industry clusters and innovation: Lessons from Beijing Zhongguancun Science Park," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 827-850, November.
- Kamien, Morton I. & Zang, Israel, 2000. "Meet me halfway: research joint ventures and absorptive capacity," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(7), pages 995-1012, October.
- Baptista, Rui & Swann, Peter, 1998. "Do firms in clusters innovate more?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 525-540, September.
- Fritsch, Michael & Franke, Grit, 2004. "Innovation, regional knowledge spillovers and R&D cooperation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 245-255, March.
- Paul Cheshire & Edward Malecki, 2003.
"Growth, development, and innovation: A look backward and forward,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 83(1), pages 249-267, October.
- Paul Cheshire & Edward Malecki, 2003. "Growth, development, and innovation: A look backward and forward," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 249-267, October.
- Sohn, Dong-Won & Kenney, Martin, 2007. "Universities, Clusters, and Innovation Systems: The Case of Seoul, Korea," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 991-1004, June.
- Bruno Cassiman & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2002. "R&D Cooperation and Spillovers: Some Empirical Evidence from Belgium," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 1169-1184, September.
- James H. Love & Stephen Roper, 2001. "articles: Outsourcing in the innovation process: Locational and strategic determinants," Papers in Regional Science, Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 80(3), pages 317-336. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kob:dpaper:206. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Office of Promoting Research Collaboration, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.