Communication Externalities on the Knowledge-based Firms in Metropolitan Areas: Case Study of China and Korea
This paper provides some evidence on communication style that serves as the contact tool and its related external economies to knowledge-intensive production and innovation within the emerging high-technology based industrial clusters in metropolitan areas of China and Korea. Our unique data-set from questionnaire survey enables us to examine the firms' behavior of communication regarding the choice of communication mode, how often, with whom, and for what purpose. Such analysis provides insights about actual relationships among business partners of industry-university-government in each cluster of Zhongguancun Area (Beijing), Seoul Digital Complex and Daedeok Valley (Daejeon). Our studies demonstrate that 1) with suppliers firms contact with high frequency but with less face-to-face meeting opportunities, 2) with customers and banks/investors but more with face-to-face contact, as common characteristic, 3) and that firms' long-term experience in the market is helpful to construct such meaningful communication network in Seoul Digital Complex. However, we could not show fully that communication externalities generated by the face-to-face contact influence the innovative output of firms.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +81-(0)78 803 7036
Fax: +81-(0)78 803 7059
Web page: http://www.rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glaeser, Edward L & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1992.
"Growth in Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1126-52, December.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1991. "Growth in Cities," NBER Working Papers 3787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Kallal, Hedi D. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Shleifer, Andrei, 1992. "Growth in Cities," Scholarly Articles 3451309, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Moretti, Enrico, 2004.
"Estimating the social return to higher education: evidence from longitudinal and repeated cross-sectional data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 121(1-2), pages 175-212.
- Enrico Moretti, 2002. "Estimating the Social Return to Higher Education: Evidence From Longitudinal and Repeated Cross-Sectional Data," NBER Working Papers 9108, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sylvie Charlot & Gilles Duranton, 2003.
"Communication externalities in cities,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20016, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Sylvie Charlot & Gilles Duranton, 2003. "Communication Externalities in Cities," CEP Discussion Papers dp0592, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Sylvie Charlot & Gilles Duranton, 2004. "Communication externalities in cities," Working Papers 155376, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Charlot, Sylvie & Duranton, Gilles, 2003. "Communication Externalities in Cities," CEPR Discussion Papers 4048, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aydogan, Neslihan & Lyon, Thomas P., 2004.
"Spatial proximity and complementarities in the trading of tacit knowledge,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1115-1135, November.
- Neslihan Aydogan & Thomas P. Lyon, 2004. "Spatial Proximity and Complementarities in the Trading of Tacit Knowledge," Microeconomics 0404004, EconWPA.
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1989. "Real Effects of Academic Research," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 957-70, December.
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1986.
"Technological Opportunity and Spillovers of R&D: Evidence from Firms' Patents, Profits, and Market Value,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 984-1001, December.
- Adam B. Jaffe, 1986. "Technological Opportunity and Spillovers of R&D: Evidence from Firms' Patents, Profits and Market Value," NBER Working Papers 1815, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaffe, A.B. & Trajtenberg, M., 1992.
"Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations,"
14-92, Tel Aviv.
- Jaffe, Adam B & Trajtenberg, Manuel & Henderson, Rebecca, 1993. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 577-98, August.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg & Rebecca Henderson, 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," NBER Working Papers 3993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ciccone, Antonio & Peri, Giovanni, 2002.
"Identifying Human Capital Externalities: Theory with an Application to US Cities,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3350, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Antonio Ciccone & Giovanni Peri, 2002. "Indentifying human capital externalities: Theory with an application to US cities," Economics Working Papers 611, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jul 2005.
- Ciccone, Antonio & Peri, Giovanni, 2002. "Identifying Human Capital Externalities: Theory with an Application to US Cities," IZA Discussion Papers 488, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Henderson, Vernon & Kuncoro, Ari & Turner, Matt, 1995.
"Industrial Development in Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(5), pages 1067-90, October.
- Audretsch, David B. & Feldman, Maryann P., 2004. "Knowledge spillovers and the geography of innovation," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 61, pages 2713-2739 Elsevier.
- Sylvie Charlot & Gilles Duranton, 2006. "Cities and Workplace Communication: Some Quantitative French Evidence," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 43(8), pages 1365-1394, July.
- Manfred M. Fischer & Attila Varga, 2003. "Spatial knowledge spillovers and university research: Evidence from Austria," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 303-322, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kob:dpaper:182. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Office of Promoting Research Collaboration, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.