Impact of Community Management on Forest Protection:Evidence from an Aid-Funded Project in Ethiopia
This study uses remote sensing data to quantitatively examine the impact of establishing participatory forest management associations in Ethiopia. The results indicate that where there is a forest association, forest area declines more in the year the association is established than it does in a forest area where there is no association. This suggests that villagers may engage in “last-minute” logging. However, one year after associations are established, forest area where there is an association increases substantially, probably due to the associations planting trees at boundary areas between forest and non-forest and monitoring illegal logging. On average, where there are forest associations, forest area increases by 1.5 percent in the first two years, while forest area where there is no association declines by 3.3 percent. Totaling this impact over two years yields a 4.8 percent positive net increase in the rate of change.
|Date of creation:||06 Jul 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 6th-13th floors, Shinjuku Maynds Tower, 2-1-1 Yoyogi, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 151-8558|
Web page: http://jica-ri.jica.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chakraborty, Rabindra Nath, 2001. "Stability and outcomes of common property institutions in forestry: evidence from the Terai region of Nepal," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 341-353, February.
- Cropper, Maureen & Griffiths, Charles, 1994. "The Interaction of Population Growth and Environmental Quality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 250-254, May.
- E. Somanathan & R. Prabhakar & Bhupendra Singh Mehta, 2005. "Does decentralization work? Forest conservation in the Himalayas," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 05-04, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Maureen Cropper & Charles Griffiths & Muthukumara Mani, 1999. "Roads, Population Pressures, and Deforestation in Thailand, 1976-1989," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(1), pages 58-73.
- Edmonds, Eric V., 2002. "Government-initiated community resource management and local resource extraction from Nepal's forests," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 89-115, June.
- Edella Schlager & Elinor Ostrom, 1992. "Property-Rights Regimes and Natural Resources: A Conceptual Analysis," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(3), pages 249-262.
- Deng, Xiangzheng & Huang, Jikun & Uchida, Emi & Rozelle, Scott & Gibson, John, 2011. "Pressure cookers or pressure valves: Do roads lead to deforestation in China?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 79-94, January.
- Lund, Jens Friis & Treue, Thorsten, 2008. "Are We Getting There? Evidence of Decentralized Forest Management from the Tanzanian Miombo Woodlands," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 2780-2800, December.
- Kijima, Yoko & Sakurai, Takeshi & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2000. "Iriaichi: Collective versus Individualized Management of Community Forests in Postwar Japan," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(4), pages 866-886, July.
- Gibson, Clark C. & Williams, John T. & Ostrom, Elinor, 2005. "Local Enforcement and Better Forests," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 273-284, February.
- Hayami, The late Yujiro & Godo, Yoshihisa, 2005. "Development Economics: From the Poverty to the Wealth of Nations," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 3, number 9780199272716, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jic:wpaper:31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Japan International Cooperation Agency Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.