Industrial Strategy And Economic Transformation:
Industrial development, especially industrial structure up-grading and diversification, is considered essential for economic transformation and sustained growth. The objective of this paper is to obtain insights into how crucial factors for industrial development, such as accumulation of knowledge and capabilities, technological innovation, infrastructure, institutions, interact in practice, focusing on several outstanding cases of industrial development, which produced a remarkable economic transformation. In these cases, different factors including investment in infrastructure, technological breakthrough, as well as external factors, triggered the economic transformation, but it could not have happened without continuous accumulation of capabilities and knowledge through learning. In all cases, effective institutions accomplished the role of facilitator or catalyzer of transformation.
|Date of creation:||18 Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 6th-13th floors, Shinjuku Maynds Tower, 2-1-1 Yoyogi, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 151-8558|
Web page: http://jica-ri.jica.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yveline Lecler, 2002. "The cluster role in the development of the Thai car industry," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 799-814, December.
- Dani Rodrik, 2007.
"Introductiion to One Economics, Many Recipes: Globalization, Institutions, and Economic Growth
[One Economics, Many Recipes: Globalization, Institutions, and Economic Growth]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Yveline Lecler, 2002. "The cluster role in the development of the Thai car industry," Post-Print halshs-00431002, HAL.
- William Easterly, 2002. "The Elusive Quest for Growth: Economists' Adventures and Misadventures in the Tropics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262550423.
- Shahid Yusuf & Kaoru Nabeshima, 2012. "Some Small Countries Do It Better : Rapid Growth and Its Causes in Singapore, Finland, and Ireland," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2243, January.
- World Bank, 2012. "World Development Report 2013," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 11843, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jic:wpaper:1002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Japan International Cooperation Agency Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.