Who Uses FTAs?
It is noted that utilization of AFTA is low by international standards. In order to clarify thereasons for such low utilization, this paper investigates what kinds of Japanese affiliates inASEAN are more likely to use FTAs in their exporting, by employing unique affiliate-level data.Our findings are as follow. First, the larger the affiliate is, or the more diversified itsprocurements’ origins are, the more likely it is to utilize an FTA scheme in its exporting. Second,affiliates exporting actively to developing countries are more likely to use FTAs than thoseexporting to developed countries. Third, there are clear differences in FTA utilization dependingon affiliates’ locations and sectors. These results afford a clue to the reasons for the low FTAutilization in East Asia.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2009|
|Publication status:||Published in IDE Discussion Paper = IDE Discussion Paper, No. 207. 2009-07-01|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545|
Web page: http://www.ide.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN|
Web: http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Publish/Order Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arndt, Sven W. & Kierzkowski, Henryk (ed.), 2001. "Fragmentation: New Production Patterns in the World Economy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199243310, April.
- Takahashi Katsuhide & Urata Shujiro, 2010.
"On the Use of FTAs by Japanese Firms: Further Evidence,"
Business and Politics,
De Gruyter, vol. 12(1), pages 1-17, April.
- TAKAHASHI Katsuhide & URATA Shujiro, 2009. "On the Use of FTAs by Japanese Firms: Further evidence," Discussion papers 09028, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Kyoji Fukao & Hyeog Ug Kwon, 2006. "Why Did Japan'S Tfp Growth Slow Down In The Lost Decade? An Empirical Analysis Based On Firm-Level Data Of Manufacturing Firms," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 57(2), pages 195-228.
- Kyoji Fukao & Hyeog Ug Kwon, 2004. "Why Did Japan's TFP Growth Slow Down in the Lost Decade?: An Empirical Analysis Based on Firm-Level Data of Manufacturing Firms," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d04-50, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kyoji Fukao & Hyeog Ug Kwon, 2005. "Why Did Japan's TFP Growth Slow Down in the Lost Decade? An Empirical Analysis Based on Firm-Level Data of Manufacturing Firms," Discussion papers 05004, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Masahiro Endoh, 1999. "Trade creation and trade diversion in the EEC, the LAFTA and the CMEA: 1960-1994," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(2), pages 207-216.
- Fukunari KIMURA, 2006. "International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia: Eighteen Facts, Mechanics, and Policy Implications," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 1(2), pages 326-344.
- Baier, Scott L. & Bergstrand, Jeffrey H., 2007. "Do free trade agreements actually increase members' international trade?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 72-95, March.
- Scott L. Baier & Jeffrey H. Bergstrand, 2005. "Do free trade agreements actually increase members’ international trade?," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2005-03, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- TAKAHASHI Katsuhide & URATA Shujiro, 2008. "On the Use of FTAs by Japanese Firms," Discussion papers 08002, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)