Dependence Measures in Bivariate Gamma Frailty Models
Bivariate duration data frequently arise in economics, biostatistics and other areas. In "bivariate frailty models", dependence between the frailties (i.e., unobserved determinants) induces dependence between the durations. Using notions of quadrant dependence, we study restrictions that this imposes on the implied dependence of the durations, if the frailty terms act multiplicatively on the corresponding hazard rates. Marginal frailty distributions are often taken to be gamma distributions. For such cases we calculate general bounds for two association measures, Pearson's correlation coefficient and Kendall's tau. The results are employed to compare the flexibility of specific families of bivariate gamma frailty distributions.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. van den Berg, 2006.
"The Unobserved Heterogeneity Distribution in Duration Analysis,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
06-059/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. Van Den Berg, 2007. "The unobserved heterogeneity distribution in duration analysis," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(1), pages 87-99.
- Abbring, Jaap H & van den Berg, Gerard J, 2007. "The Unobserved Heterogeneity Distribution in Duration Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 6219, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zhong Xiaoyun & Li Hongzhe, 2002. "An additive genetic gamma frailty model for two-locus linkage analysis using sibship age of onset data," Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology, De Gruyter, vol. 1(1), pages 1-26, November.
- Robin Henderson, 2003. "A serially correlated gamma frailty model for longitudinal count data," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 90(2), pages 355-366, June.
- Martin, Emily C. & Betensky, Rebecca A., 2005. "Testing Quasi-Independence of Failure and Truncation Times via Conditional Kendall's Tau," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 484-492, June.
- David Oakes, 2008. "On consistency of Kendall's tau under censoring," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 95(4), pages 997-1001.
- van den Berg, Gerard J., 1997. "Association measures for durations in bivariate hazard rate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 221-245, August.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:16:y:2006:i:2:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp8083. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.