The Netherlands: Old Emigrants - Young Immigrant Country
Since the mid 1960s the Netherlands has an immigration surplus, mainly because of manpower recruitment from Turkey and Morocco and because of immigration from the former Dutch colony of Surinam. Immigrant workers have a weak labour market position, which is mainly related to their educational level and language skills. Children and grandchildren of immigrants are expected to have better chances to integrate into Dutch society. Nevertheless, specific policy measures are needed to avoid social exclusion of current immigrant workers.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: K. Zimmerman (ed.) European Migration: What Do We Know? Oxford: OUP, 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nickell, S.J. & van Ours, J.C., 1999.
"The Netherlands and the United Kingdom : A European Unemployment Miracle?,"
1999-119, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Steve Nickell & Jan van Ours, 2000. "The Netherlands and the United Kingdom: a European unemployment miracle?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 135-180, 04.
- van Ours, J.C. & Nickell, S.J., 2000. "The Netherlands and the United Kingdom : A European unemployment miracle?," Other publications TiSEM 8dc4101d-6e72-44dd-9ab0-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Niesing, Willem & van Praag, Bernard M. S. & Veenman, Justus, 1994. "The unemployment of ethnic minority groups in the Netherlands," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 173-196, March.
- Hartog, Joop & Vriend, Nick, 1990. "Young Mediterraneans in the Dutch Labour Market: A Comparative Analysis of Allocation and Earnings," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(2), pages 379-401, April.
- repec:fth:tilbur:99119 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp80. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.