Estimation of Generalized Entropy and Atkinson Inequality Indices from Complex Survey Data
Applying a method suggested by Woodruff (1971), we derive the sampling variances of Generalized Entropy and Atkinson inequality indices when estimated from complex survey data. It turns out that this method also greatly simplifies the calculations for the i.i.d. case when compared to previous derivations in the literature. Both cases are illustrated with examples from the German Socio-Economic Panel Study and the British Household Panel Survey.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Cowell & Stephen P Jenkins, 2000.
"Estimating welfare indices : household weights and sample design,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2160, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Frank A. Cowell & Stephen P. Jenkins, 2000. "Estimating Welfare Indices: Household Weights and Sample Design," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 219, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Frank A Cowell & Stephen P Jenkins, 2000. "Estimating Welfare Indices: Household Weights and Sample Design," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 48, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Cowell, Frank A. & Jenkins, Stephen P., 2000. "Estimating welfare indices: household weights and sample design," ISER Working Paper Series 2000-23, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Christian Schluter & Mark Trede, 2002. "Statistical Inference for Inequality and Poverty Measurement with Dependent Data," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(2), pages 493-508, May.
- Thistle, Paul D, 1990. "Large Sample Properties of Two Inequality Indices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(3), pages 725-28, May.
- Biewen, Martin, 2002. "Bootstrap inference for inequality, mobility and poverty measurement," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 317-342, June.
- Cowell, Frank A., 1989. "Sampling variance and decomposable inequality measures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 27-41, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp763. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.