Estimation of inequality indices from survey data, allowing for design effects
Martin Biewen and I have derived the sampling variances of Generalized Entropy and Atkinson indices for the case they are estimated from survey data with a complex design. This talk illustrates how the indices may calculated in Stata, using our commands -svyatk- and -svygei-. The empirical illustrations compare income inequality in Britain and Germany.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thistle, Paul D, 1990. "Large Sample Properties of Two Inequality Indices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(3), pages 725-728, May.
- Frank A. Cowell & Stephen P. Jenkins, 2000.
"Estimating Welfare Indices: Household Weights and Sample Design,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
219, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Frank Cowell & Stephen P Jenkins, 2000. "Estimating welfare indices : household weights and sample design," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2160, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Frank A Cowell & Stephen P Jenkins, 2000. "Estimating Welfare Indices: Household Weights and Sample Design," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 48, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Cowell, Frank A. & Jenkins, Stephen P., 2000. "Estimating welfare indices: household weights and sample design," ISER Working Paper Series 2000-23, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Christian Schluter & Mark Trede, 2002. "Statistical Inference for Inequality and Poverty Measurement with Dependent Data," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(2), pages 493-508, May.
- Cowell, Frank A., 1989. "Sampling variance and decomposable inequality measures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 27-41, September.
- Biewen, Martin, 2002. "Bootstrap inference for inequality, mobility and poverty measurement," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 317-342, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boc:usug05:07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.