On statistical inference for inequality measures calculated from complex survey data
We examine inference for Generalized Entropy and Atkinson inequality measures with complex survey data, using Wald statistics with variance–covariance matrices estimated from a linearization approximation method. Testing the equality of two or more inequality measures, including sub-group decomposition indices and group shares, are covered. We illustrate with Indian data from three surveys, examining pre-school children’s height, an anthropometric measure that can indicate long-term malnutrition. Sampling involved an urban/rural stratification with clustering before selection of households. We compare the linearization complex survey outcomes with those from an incorrect independently and identically distributed (iid) assumption and a bootstrap that accounts for the survey design. For our samples, the results from the easy to implement linearization method and the more computationally burdensome bootstrap are typically quite similar. This finding is of interest to applied researchers, as bootstrapping is currently the method that is most commonly used for undertaking statistical inference in this literature. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 43 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Russell, 2009.
"Reliable inference for the Gini index,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 150(1), pages 30-40, May.
- Alessandro Tarozzi & Aprajit Mahajan, 2007.
"Child Nutrition in India in the Nineties,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 55, pages 441-486.
- Garry Barrett & Thomas Crossley & Christopher Worswick, 1999.
"Consumption and Income Inequality in Australia,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
404, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Wen-Hao Chen & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2008.
"Testing for Poverty Dominance: an Application to Canada,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Wen-Hao Chen & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2011. "Testing for poverty dominance: an application to Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 44(3), pages 781-803, August.
- Wen-Hao Chen & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2009. "Testing for poverty dominance: an application to Canada," Working Papers 379, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Wen-Hao Chen, 2009. "Testing for Poverty Dominance: An Application to Canada," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 769.09, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Chen, Wen-Hao & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 2008. "Testing for Poverty Dominance: An Application to Canada," IZA Discussion Papers 3829, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bhattacharya, Debopam, 2007. "Inference on inequality from household survey data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 674-707, April.
- Dufour, J.M. & Kiviet, J.F., 1995.
"Exact Inference Methods for First-Order Autoregressive Distributed Lag Models,"
Cahiers de recherche
9547, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Jean-Marie Dufour & Jan F. Kiviet, 1998. "Exact Inference Methods for First-Order Autoregressive Distributed Lag Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 79-104, January.
- Dufour, J.M. & Kiviet, J.F., 1995. "Exact Inference Methods for First-Order Autoregressive Distributed Lag Models," Cahiers de recherche 9547, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Russell Davidson & James MacKinnon, 2000.
"Bootstrap tests: how many bootstraps?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 55-68.
- Atkinson, A B, 1997.
"Bringing Income Distribution in from the Cold,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(441), pages 297-321, March.
- Jeffrey A. Mills & Sourushe Zandvakili, 1999.
"Statistical Inference via Bootstrapping for Measures of Inequality,"
- Mills, Jeffrey A & Zandvakili, Sourushe, 1997. "Statistical Inference via Bootstrapping for Measures of Inequality," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 133-50, March-Apr.
- Casilda Lasso de la Vega & Ana Urrutia, 2008. "The ‘Extended’ Atkinson family: The class of multiplicatively decomposable inequality measures, and some new graphical procedures for analysts," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 211-225, June.
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1979. "Decomposable Income Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 901-20, July.
- James E. Foster & Artyom A. Shneyerov, 1999. "A general class of additively decomposable inequality measures," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 89-111.
- Bhattacharya, Debopam, 2005. "Asymptotic inference from multi-stage samples," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 145-171, May.
- Griffiths, Paula & Matthews, Zoë & Hinde, Andrew, 2002. "Gender, family, and the nutritional status of children in three culturally contrasting states of India," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 55(5), pages 775-790, September.
- Christian Schluter & Mark Trede, 2002. "Statistical Inference for Inequality and Poverty Measurement with Dependent Data," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(2), pages 493-508, May.
- David Gray & Jeffrey A. Mills & Sourushe Zandvakili, 2003. "Statistical analysis of inequality with decompositions: the Canadian experience," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 291-302, 04.
- Cowell, Frank A, 1980. "On the Structure of Additive Inequality Measures," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 521-31, April.
- Charles Blackorby & David Donaldson & Maria Auersperg, 1981. "A New Procedure for the Measurement of Inequality within and among Population Subgroups," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 14(4), pages 665-85, November.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2007.
"Asymptotic and bootstrap inference for inequality and poverty measures,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Davidson, Russell & Flachaire, Emmanuel, 2007. "Asymptotic and bootstrap inference for inequality and poverty measures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 141-166, November.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2006. "Asymptotic And Bootstrap Inference For Inequality And Poverty Measures," Departmental Working Papers 2005-06, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2004. "Asymptotic and bootstrap inference for inequality and poverty measures," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques v04100, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Martin Biewen & Stephen P. Jenkins, 2006.
"Variance Estimation for Generalized Entropy and Atkinson Inequality Indices: the Complex Survey Data Case,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(3), pages 371-383, 06.
- Martin Biewen, 2006. "Variance estimation for generalized entropy and Atkinson inequality indices: The complex survey data case," German Stata Users' Group Meetings 2006 04, Stata Users Group.
- David Gray & Jeffrey Mills & Sourushe Zandvakili, 2003. "Immigration, Assimilation and Inequality of Income Distribution in Canada," University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series 2003-01, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics.
- Cowell, Frank A & Jenkins, Stephen P, 1995. "How Much Inequality Can We Explain? A Methodology and an Application to the United States," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(429), pages 421-30, March.
- David E. Sahn & Stephen D. Younger, 2006. "Changes in inequality and poverty in Latin America: Looking beyond income to health and education," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 215-234, November.
- Cowell, Frank A., 1989. "Sampling variance and decomposable inequality measures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 27-41, September.
- Jeffrey Mills & Sourushe Zandvakili, 2004. "Analysis of gender-based family income inequality in Canada," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(8), pages 469-472.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1980. "The Class of Additively Decomposable Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 613-25, April.
- Moradi, Alexander & Baten, Joerg, 2005. "Inequality in Sub-Saharan Africa: New Data and New Insights from Anthropometric Estimates," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1233-1265, August.
- Biewen, Martin, 2002. "Bootstrap inference for inequality, mobility and poverty measurement," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 317-342, June.
- Pradhan, Menno & Sahn, David E. & Younger, Stephen D., 2003. "Decomposing world health inequality," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 271-293, March.
- Van de gaer, Dirk & Funnell, Nicola & McCarthy, Tom, 1999. "Statistical inference for two measures of inequality when incomes are correlated," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 295-300, September.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1984. "Inequality Decomposition by Population Subgroups," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(6), pages 1369-85, November.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:empeco:v:43:y:2012:i:2:p:499-524. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.