El diseño complejo de la encuesta de estructura salarial 1995: Implicaciones sobre la estimación de medidas de desigualdad
This paper constitutes a theoretical approach to the study of the role that sample design plays in the quantification of the degree of wage inequality. Using the design of the 1995 Spanish Structure of Earnings Survey as reference framework, we offer a detailed description of the estimation and statistical inference methods of inequality measures. Results show that the simplification caused by supposing independent and identically distributed observations could derive in significant systematic biases of the estimators and its standard errors.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Biewen & Stephen P. Jenkins, 2003.
"Estimation of Generalized Entropy and Atkinson Inequality Indices from Complex Survey Data,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
345, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Biewen, Martin & Jenkins, Stephen P., 2003. "Estimation of Generalized Entropy and Atkinson Inequality Indices from Complex Survey Data," IZA Discussion Papers 763, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bishop, John A. & Chakraborti, S. & Thistle, Paul D., 1988. "Large sample tests for absolute Lorenz dominance," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 291-294.
- Biewen, Martin & Jenkins, Stephen P., 2003. "Estimation of Generalized Entropy and Atkinson inequality indices from survey data," ISER Working Paper Series 2003-11, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Bishop, John A & Chakraborti, S & Thistle, Paul D, 1994. "Relative Inequality, Absolute Inequality, and Welfare: Large Sample Tests for Partial Orders," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 41-59, January.
- Blackorby, C. & Bossert, W. & Donaldson, D., 1996. "Income Inequality Measurement: The Normative Approach," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 96a22, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Martin Biewen, 2002. "Measuring inequality in the presence of intra-household correlation," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(15), pages 1003-1006.
- Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David, 1978. "Measures of relative equality and their meaning in terms of social welfare," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 59-80, June.
- Biewen, Martin, 2002. "Bootstrap inference for inequality, mobility and poverty measurement," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 317-342, June.
- Bishop, John A & Chakraborti, S & Thistle, Paul D, 1989. "Asymptotically Distribution-Free Statistical Inference for Generalized Lorenz Curves," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(4), pages 725-727, November.
- Charles M. Beach & Russell Davidson, 1983. "Distribution-Free Statistical Inference with Lorenz Curves and Income Shares," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 723-735. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fda:fdaddt:2003-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.