Evaluating the Effect of Ownership Status on Hospital Quality: The Key Role of Innovative Procedures
Mortality differences between university, non-teaching public and for-profit hospitals are investigated using a French exhaustive administrative dataset on patients admitted for heart attack. Our results show that innovative procedures play a key role in explaining the effect of ownership status on hospital quality. When age, sex, diagnoses and co-morbidities are held constant, the mortality rates in for-profit and university hospitals are similar, but they are lower than in public non-teaching hospitals. When additionally controlling for innovative procedures, the mortality rate is higher in for-profit hospitals than in the two groups of public hospitals. This suggests that the quality of care in for-profit hospitals relies on innovative procedures and that, after controlling for case-mix and innovative treatments, there is a better quality of care in public hospitals.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||forthcoming in: Annals of Economics and Statistics, 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Kessler & Mark McClellan, 2001. "The Effects of Hospital Ownership on Medical Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8537, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cutler, David & Huckman, Robert, 2003. "Technological Development and Medical Productivity: The Diffusion of Angioplasty in New York State," Scholarly Articles 2664291, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Ridder, G. & Tunali, I., 1997.
"Stratified Partial Likelihood Estimation,"
1997/17, Koc University.
- Ho, Vivian, 2002. "Learning and the evolution of medical technologies: the diffusion of coronary angioplasty," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 873-885, September.
- David M. Cutler & Mark McClellan, 1996. "The Determinants of Technological Change in Heart Attack Treatment," NBER Working Papers 5751, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cutler, David M. & Huckman, Robert S., 2003.
"Technological development and medical productivity: the diffusion of angioplasty in New York state,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 187-217, March.
- David M. Cutler & Robert S. Huckman, 2002. "Technological Development and Medical Productivity: The Diffusion of Angioplasty in New York State," NBER Working Papers 9311, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurent Gobillon & Thierry Magnac & Harris Selod, 2007.
"The Effect of Location on Finding a Job in the Paris Region,"
2007-05, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Laurent Gobillon & Thierry Magnac & Harris Selod, 2011. "The effect of location on finding a job in the Paris region," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(7), pages 1079-1112, November.
- GOBILLON Laurent & MAGNAC Thierry & SELOD Harris, 2007. "The effect of location on finding a job in the Paris region," Research Unit Working Papers 0703, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Gobillon, Laurent & Magnac, Thierry & Selod, Harris, 2007. "The Effect of Location on Finding a Job in the Paris Region," CEPR Discussion Papers 6199, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gobillon, Laurent & Magnac, Thierry & Selod, Harris, 2007. "The Effect of Location on Finding a Job in the Paris Region," IDEI Working Papers 433, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Mar 2009.
- Mark G. Duggan, 2000.
"Hospital Ownership And Public Medical Spending,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 115(4), pages 1343-1373, November.
- Lien, Hsien-Ming & Chou, Shin-Yi & Liu, Jin-Tan, 2008. "Hospital ownership and performance: Evidence from stroke and cardiac treatment in Taiwan," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1208-1223, September.
- Mark McClellan & Douglas Staiger, 1999. "The Quality of Health Care Providers," NBER Working Papers 7327, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Skinner & Douglas Staiger, 2009. "Technology Diffusion and Productivity Growth in Health Care," NBER Working Papers 14865, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7082. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.