Private Wealth and Planned Early Retirement: A Panel Data Analysis for the Netherlands, 1994-2009
We study the causal relation between private wealth and retirement age. We propose two estimation strategies based on expected retirement age. The outcome variable is observed repeatedly over time. We correct first for the unobserved heterogeneity in the disutility of work by using panel data techniques. Next, we exploit information on expected wealth accumulation in order to identify the unexpected component in wealth accumulation. In line with the literature we find a small but significant effect of private wealth on planned early retirement.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andries De Grip & Maarten Lindeboom & Raymond Montizaan, 2012.
"Shattered Dreams: The Effects of Changing the Pension System Late in the Game,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(559), pages 1-25, 03.
- de Grip, Andries & Lindeboom, Maarten & Montizaan, Raymond, 2009. "Shattered Dreams: The Effects of Changing the Pension System Late in the Game," IZA Discussion Papers 4034, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Grip Andries de & Lindeboom Maarten & Montizaan Raymond, 2009. "Shattered Dreams: The Effects of Changing the Pension System Late in the Game," ROA Research Memorandum 003, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Grip Andries de & Lindeboom Maarten & Montizaan Raymond, 2009. "Dreams: The Effects of Changing the Pension System Late in the Game," Research Memorandum 043, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Mark van Duijn & Maarten Lindeboom & Mauro Mastrogiacomo & M. Lundborg, 2009. "Pension plans and the retirement replacement rates in the Netherlands," CPB Discussion Paper 118, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Hugo Benítez-Silva & Debra S. Dwyer, 2005. "The Rationality of Retirement Expectations and the Role of New Information," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(3), pages 587-592, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp5339. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.