Public and Private Insurance with Costly Transactions
We characterize how public insurance schemes are constrained by hidden financial transactions. When non-exclusive private insurance entails increasing unit transaction costs, public transfers are only partly offset by hidden private transactions, and can influence consumption allocation. We show that efficient transfer schemes should take into account the impact of insurance on unobservable effort and saving choices as well as the relative cost of public and private insurance technologies. We provide suggestive evidence for the empirical relevance of these results by inspecting the cross-country relationship between available indicators of insurance transaction costs and variation in public and private insurance.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krueger, Dirk & Perri, Fabrizio, 2010.
"Public versus Private Risk Sharing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7625, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mikhail Golosov & Aleh Tsyvinski, 2005.
"Optimal Taxation with Endogenous Insurance Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
11185, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mikhail Golosov, 2007. "Optimal Taxation With Endogenous Insurance Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 122(2), pages 487-534, 05.
- Mikhail Golosov & Aleh Tsyvinski, 2006. "Optimal Taxation with Endogenous Insurance Markets," Levine's Bibliography 784828000000000445, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Tsyvinski, A. & Golosov, M., 2004. "Optimal Taxation with Endogenous Insurance Markets," 2004 Meeting Papers 124, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Pricila Maziero, 2009.
"Non-Exclusive Dynamic Contracts, Competition, and the Limits of Insurance,"
2009 Meeting Papers
509, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Laurence Ales & Pricila Maziero, . "Non-exclusive Dynamic Contracts, Competition, and the Limits of Insurance," GSIA Working Papers 2010-E59, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Bizer, David S & DeMarzo, Peter M, 1992. "Sequential Banking," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(1), pages 41-61, February.
- University of Venice & Nicola Pavoni & Piero Gottardi, 2008. "Ramsey Asset Taxation under Asymmetric Information," 2008 Meeting Papers 309, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Sebastian Koehne & Nicola Pavoni & Arpad Abraham, 2010.
"On the First-Order Approach in Principal-Agent Models with Hidden Borrowing and Lending,"
2010 Meeting Papers
947, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ábrahám, Árpád & Koehne, Sebastian & Pavoni, Nicola, 2011. "On the first-order approach in principal-agent models with hidden borrowing and lending," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(4), pages 1331-1361, July.
- Bisin, Alberto & Gottardi, Piero, 1999.
"Competitive Equilibria with Asymmetric Information,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 1-48, July.
- Alberto Bisin & Piero Gottardi, 1998. "Competitive Equilibria with Asymmetric Information," Levine's Working Paper Archive 2062, David K. Levine.
- Árpád Ábrahám & Nicola Pavoni, 2005. "The Efficient Allocation of Consumption under Moral Hazard and Hidden Access to the Credit Market," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(2-3), pages 370-381, 04/05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp5201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.