This paper investigates how families make decisions about the education of juveniles. The decision problem is analyzed in three variations: a 'decentralized' scheme, in which the parents control the purse-strings, but the children dispose of their time as they see fit; a 'hierarchical' scheme, in which the parents can enforce a particular level of schooling by employing a monitoring technology; and the cooperative solution, in which the threat point is one of the two noncooperative outcomes. Adults choose which game is played. While the subgame perfect equilibrium of the overall game is Pareto-efficient when viewed statically, it may yield less education than the hierarchical scheme. Regulation in the form of restrictions on child labor and compulsory schooling generally affects both the threat point and the feasible set of bargaining outcomes, and families may choose more schooling than the minimum required by law.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Games and Economic Behavior, 2012, 74 (1), 32-51|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:oup:restud:v:60:y:1993:i:1:p:35-52 is not listed on IDEAS
- Becker, Gary S, 1974.
"A Theory of Social Interactions,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1063-93, Nov.-Dec..
- James J. Heckman, 2008.
"Schools, Skills, and Synapses,"
NBER Working Papers
14064, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:nbr:nberbk:beck81-1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barham, V. & Boadway, R. & Marchand, M. & Pestieau, P., .
"Education and the poverty trap,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1173, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Moshe Hazan & Binyamin Berdugo, 2002.
"Child Labour, Fertility, and Economic Growth,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(482), pages 810-828, October.
- Pollak, Robert, 2007.
"Family Bargaining and Taxes: A Prolegomenon to the Analysis of Joint Taxation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3109, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Robert A. Pollak, 2011. "Family Bargaining and Taxes: A Prolegomenon to the Analysis of Joint Taxation ," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 57(2), pages 216-244, June.
- Loury, Glenn C, 1981. "Intergenerational Transfers and the Distribution of Earnings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 843-67, June.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C, 1989. "A Fresh Look at the Rotten Kid Theorem--and Other Household Mysteries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(5), pages 1138-59, October.
- Gersbach, Hans & Siemers, Lars-H. R., 2010.
"Land Reforms And Economic Development,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(04), pages 527-547, September.
- Cox, Donald & Jakubson, George, 1995. "The connection between public transfers and private interfamily transfers," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 129-167, May.
- Lundberg, Shelly & Romich, Jennifer & Tsang, Kwok P., 2007.
"Decision-Making by Children,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2952, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Banerjee, Abhijit V., 2004. "Educational policy and the economics of the family," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-32, June.
- Bell, Clive & Gersbach, Hans & Schneider, Maik T., 2012.
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 32-51.
- Dessy, Sylvain E., 2000. "A defense of compulsive measures against child labor," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 261-275, June.
- Cox, Donald, 1987. "Motives for Private Income Transfers," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 508-46, June.
- Bell, Clive & Gersbach, Hans, 2009.
"Child Labor And The Education Of A Society,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(02), pages 220-249, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp5036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.