Estimating and Forecasting GARCH Volatility in the Presence of Outiers
The main goal when fitting GARCH models to conditionally heteroscedastic time series is to estimate the underlying volatilities. It is well known that outliers affect the estimation of the GARCH parameters. However, little is known about their effects when estimating volatilities. In this paper, we show that when estimating the volatility by using Maximum Likelihood estimates of the parameters, the biases incurred can be very large even if estimated parameters have small biases. Consequently, we propose to use robust procedures. In particular, a simple robust estimator of the parameters is proposed and shown that its properties are comparable with other more complicated ones available in the literature. The properties of the estimated and predicted volatilities obtained by using robust filters based on robust parameter estimates are analyzed. All the results are illustrated using daily S&P500 and IBEX35 returns.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Angeles Carnero & Daniel Peña & Esther Ruiz, 2007. "Effects of outliers on the identification and estimation of GARCH models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(4), pages 471-497, 07.
- Shinichi Sakata & Halbert White, 1998. "High Breakdown Point Conditional Dispersion Estimation with Application to S&P 500 Daily Returns Volatility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(3), pages 529-568, May.
- Jurgen Doornik & Marius Ooms, 2005.
"Outlier Detection in GARCH Models,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2005-W24, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Jurgen A. Doornik & Marius Ooms, 2005. "Outlier Detection in GARCH Models," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-092/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jurgen A. Doornik & Marius Ooms, 2005. "Outlier Detection in GARCH Models," Economics Papers 2005-W24, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Whitney K. Newey & Douglas G. Steigerwald, 1997. "Asymptotic Bias for Quasi-Maximum-Likelihood Estimators in Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 587-600, May.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Sentana, Enrique & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2003. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference in Multivariate Conditionally Heteroscedastic Dynamic Regression Models with Student t Innovations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(4), pages 532-46, October.
- Grossi Luigi, 2004. "Analyzing Financial Time Series through Robust Estimators," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(2), pages 1-15, May.
- Liang Peng, 2003. "Least absolute deviations estimation for ARCH and GARCH models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 90(4), pages 967-975, December.
- van Dijk, D.J.C. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F. & Lucas, A., 1996.
"Testing for ARCH in the Presence of Additive Outliers,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 9659-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- van Dijk, Dick & Franses, Philip Hans & Lucas, Andre, 1999. "Testing for ARCH in the Presence of Additive Outliers," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 539-62, Sept.-Oct.
- Charles, Amelie & Darne, Olivier, 2006. "Large shocks and the September 11th terrorist attacks on international stock markets," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 683-698, July.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1987. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Time Series Model for Speculative Prices and Rates of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 542-47, August.
- Park, Beum-Jo, 2002. "An Outlier Robust GARCH Model and Forecasting Volatility of Exchange Rate Returns," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(5), pages 381-93, August.
- Karanasos, Menelaos & Kim, Jinki, 2006. "A re-examination of the asymmetric power ARCH model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 113-128, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2008-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.