Dollarization in Viet Nam
The paper maps the dollarization process in Vietnam since the beginning 1990s. We analyze the pros and cons of complete currency substitution. We discuss different forms and degrees of dollarization, and why some countries dollarized and others not. Further, the paper analyzes the case of partial dollarization, its implied risks for financial sector stability and the underlying dynamics of dollarization. Finally, we describe ways to reverse dollarization. The main conclusions are that dollarization is not a viable exchange rate regime option for Vietnam; furthermore, the current status of a partly dollarized economy poses considerable risks for financial sector stability and makes the country prone to exogenous shocks. The recent dollarization of banks’ loan portfolio has considerably increased systemic risk. The foreseeable opening of the Vietnamese economy will significantly increase the risks related to dollarization.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1309 East Tenth Street, Room 451, Bloomington, IN 47405-1701|
Web page: http://kelley.iu.edu/bepp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry Eichengreen & Ricardo Hausmann & Ugo Panizza, 2003. "Currency Mismatches, Debt Intolerance and Original Sin: Why They Are Not the Same and Why it Matters," NBER Working Papers 10036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2001. "Dollarization and Economic Performance: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 8274, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adalbert Winkler & Francesco Mazzaferro & Carolin Nerlich & Christian Thimann, 2004. "Official dollarisation/euroisation - motives, features and policy implications of current cases," Occasional Paper Series 11, European Central Bank.
- De Nicolo, Gianni & Honohan, Patrick & Ize, Alain, 2003.
"Dollarization of the banking system : good or bad?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3116, The World Bank.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 2002.
"The great exchange rate debate after Argentina,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 237-252, December.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2001. "Reflections on Dollarization," MPRA Paper 8206, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 2001. "What problems can dollarization solve?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 267-277, April.
- Sebastian Edwards & Igal Magendzo, 2003. "A Currency of One's Own? An Empirical Investigation on Dollarization and Independent Currency Unions," NBER Working Papers 9514, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iuk:wpaper:2004-25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rick Harbaugh)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.