Dual Structure of Emerging Japan: Revisit to Economics of Peasantry
Analysis of the Japanese Capitalism by Moritaro Yamada, a representative Marxian economist in Japan in the 1930s, was an innovative work in four points. First, it described the Japanese economy as a two-sector economy that contained the capital stock and the consumption goods sectors, second, pointed out the duality composed of the modern sector whose productivity was relatively high and the traditional sector whose productivity was relatively low, third, argued that the authoritarian risk-bearing mechanism worked in the traditional sector, and fourth, discussed that while the stability of society and the chronic stagnancy of productivity had coexisted, the structure was then being dismantled, at the time when economics did not have analytical tools for the two-sector economy, duality, risk sharing, and dynamic transition in the growth path. This paper places his argument on the duality and risk sharing in an analytical framework and rephrases its implications.
|Date of creation:||23 Feb 2008|
|Date of revision:||20 Sep 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113|
Phone: (03)3812-2111 ext 4904
Web page: http://www.iss.u-tokyo.ac.jp/publishments/dpf/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tetsuji Okazaki, 2003.
""Voice" and "Exit" in Japanese Firms during the Second World War: Sanpo Revisited,"
CIRJE-F-243, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Tetsuji Okazaki, 2005. ""Voice" and "Exit" in Japanese Firms during the Second World War: Sanpo Revisited," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-345, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Arimoto, Yutaka, 2005. "State-contingent rent reduction and tenancy contract choice," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 355-375, April.
- Yutaka ARIMOTO & Tetsuji OKAZAKI & Masaki NAKABAYASHI, 2010.
"Agrarian Land Tenancy In Prewar Japan: Contract Choice And Implications On Productivity,"
The Developing Economies,
Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 48(3), pages 293-318.
- Yutaka Arimoto & Tetsuji Okazaki & Masaki Nakabayashi, 2008. "Agrarian Land Tenancy in Prewar Japan: Contract Choice and Implications on Productivity," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-549, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Toya, Tetsuro, 2006. "The Political Economy of the Japanese Financial Big Bang: Institutional Change in Finance and Public Policymaking," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199292394 edited by Amyx, Jennifer A..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:itk:issdps:f144. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.