Property and Risk: Peasants in the Rise of Modern Japanese State
Under the Tokugawa shogunate, 1603-1868, registered peasants were guaranteed their residual claim to crop from their land, but shielded from the market risk. Provided with incentives for productivity increase but protected from the market risk, millions of peas-ant family continuously managed their family farms more than two centuries. The Meiji Restoration from 1868 defined peasantsf claim as the modern property right. Exposed to the market risk, more than half of parable land came under tenancy contract by the 1900s, and landlords segregated tenancy peasants from the market. This research inquires this institutional change in modern Japanese state following Moritaro Yamadafs work.
|Date of creation:||23 Feb 2008|
|Date of revision:||29 Apr 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (03)3812-2111 ext 4904
Web page: http://www.iss.u-tokyo.ac.jp/publishments/dpf/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Toya, Tetsuro, 2006. "The Political Economy of the Japanese Financial Big Bang: Institutional Change in Finance and Public Policymaking," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199292394 edited by Amyx, Jennifer A..
- Yutaka Arimoto & Tetsuji Okazaki & Masaki Nakabayashi, 2008.
"Agrarian Land Tenancy in Prewar Japan: Contract Choice and Implications on Productivity,"
CIRJE-F-549, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Yutaka ARIMOTO & Tetsuji OKAZAKI & Masaki NAKABAYASHI, 2010. "Agrarian Land Tenancy In Prewar Japan: Contract Choice And Implications On Productivity," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 48(3), pages 293-318.
- Yutaka Arimoto & Tetsuji Okazaki & Masaki Nakabayashi, 2005. "Risk, Transaction Costs, and Geographic Distribution of Share Tenancy: A Case of Pre-War Japan," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-322, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Tetsuji Okazaki, 2005.
""Voice" and "Exit" in Japanese Firms during the Second World War: Sanpo Revisited,"
CIRJE-F-345, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Tetsuji Okazaki, 2003. ""Voice" and "Exit" in Japanese Firms during the Second World War: Sanpo Revisited," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-243, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Arimoto, Yutaka, 2005. "State-contingent rent reduction and tenancy contract choice," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 355-375, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:itk:issdps:f144. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.