Random Matching in the College Admissions Problem
In the college admissions problem, we consider the incentives confronting agents who face the prospect of being matched by a random stable mechanism. We provide a fairly complete characterization of ordinal equilbria. Namely, every ordinal equilib- rium yields a degenerate probability distribution. Furthermore, individual rationality is a necessary and sufficient condition for an equilibrium outcome, while stability is guaranteed in ordinal equilibrium where firms act straightforwardly. Finally, we re- late equilibrium behavior in random and in deterministic mechanisms.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dipjyoti Majumdar, 2003.
"Ordinally Bayesian Incentive Compatible Stable Matching,"
- Dipjyoti Majumdar, 2003. "Ordinally Bayesian Incentive Compatible Stable Matchings," Working Papers 05001, Concordia University, Department of Economics.
- d’ASPREMONT, C. & PELEG, B., 1986.
"Ordinal Bayesian incentive compatible representations of committees,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1986042, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & PELEG, Bezalel, . "Ordinal Bayesian incentive compatible representations of committees," CORE Discussion Papers RP -808, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Atila Abdulkadiroglu & Tayfun Sönmez, 2003.
"School Choice: A Mechanism Design Approach,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(3), pages 729-747, June.
- Roth, Alvin E., 1985. "The college admissions problem is not equivalent to the marriage problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 277-288, August.
- Ehlers, Lars & Masso, Jordi, 2007. "Incomplete information and singleton cores in matching markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 587-600, September.
- Pais, Joana, 2008.
"Incentives in decentralized random matching markets,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 632-649, November.
- Joana Pais, 2006. "Incentives in Decentralized Random Matching Markets," Working Papers Department of Economics 2006/12, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Roth, Alvin E & Vande Vate, John H, 1990. "Random Paths to Stability in Two-Sided Matching," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1475-80, November.
- Moulin, HervÈ, 1997. "Procedural cum Endstate Justice: An Implementation Viewpoint," Working Papers 97-17, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Joana Pais, 2006. "On Random Matching Markets: Properties and Equilibria," Working Papers Department of Economics 2006/11, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Herve Moulin, 2004. "Fair Division and Collective Welfare," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633116, June.
- Dipjyoti Majumdar & Arunava Sen, 2004. "Ordinally Bayesian Incentive Compatible Voting Rules," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(2), pages 523-540, 03.
- Roth, Alvin E & Vande Vate, John H, 1991. "Incentives in Two-Sided Matching with Random Stable Mechanisms," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 31-44, January.
- Roth, Alvin E. & Sotomayor, Marilda, 1992. "Two-sided matching," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 16, pages 485-541 Elsevier.
- Roth, Alvin E, 1984. "The Evolution of the Labor Market for Medical Interns and Residents: A Case Study in Game Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(6), pages 991-1016, December.
- Abdulkadiroglu, Atila & Sonmez, Tayfun, 1999. "House Allocation with Existing Tenants," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 233-260, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ise:isegwp:wp132006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.