School Choice and Information An Experimental Study on Matching Mechanisms
We present an experimental study where we analyze three well- known matching mechanisms - the Boston, the Gale-Shapley, and the Top Trading Cycles mechanisms - in three different informational set- tings. Our experimental results are consistent with the theory, sug- gesting that the TTC mechanism outperforms both the Boston and the Gale-Shapley mechanisms in terms of efficiency and it is as suc- cessful as the Gale-Shapley mechanism regarding the proportion of truthful preference revelation, whereas manipulation is stronger un- der the Boston mechanism. In addition, even though agents are much more likely to revert to truthtelling in lack of information about the others' payooffs - ignorance may be beneficial in this context - , the TTC mechanism results less sensitive to the amount of information that participants hold. These results therefore suggest that the use of the TTC mechanism in practice is more desirable than of the others.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barberà, S. & Dutta, B., 1995.
"Protective behavior in matching models,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 281-296.
- Haluk Ergin & Tayfun Sönmez, 2005.
"Games of School Choice under the Boston Mechanism,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
619, Boston College Department of Economics.
- C. Nicholas McKinney & Muriel Niederle & Alvin E. Roth, 2005.
"The Collapse of a Medical Labor Clearinghouse (and Why Such Failures Are Rare),"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 878-889, June.
- McKinney, C. Nicholas & Niederle, Muriel & Roth, Alvin, 2005. "The collapse of a medical labor clearinghouse (and why such failures are rare)," Scholarly Articles 2570404, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- EHLERS, Lars, 2003.
"In Search of Advice for Physicians in Entry-Level Medical Markets,"
Cahiers de recherche
13-2003, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- EHLERS, Lars, 2003. "In Search of Advice for Physicians in Entry-Level Medical Markets," Cahiers de recherche 2003-15, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Shapley, Lloyd & Scarf, Herbert, 1974. "On cores and indivisibility," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 23-37, March.
- Chen, Yan & Sonmez, Tayfun, 2004. "An experimental study of house allocation mechanisms," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 137-140, April.
- Chen, Yan & Sonmez, Tayfun, 2006.
"School choice: an experimental study,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 202-231, March.
- Abdulkadiroglu, Atila & Sonmez, Tayfun, 1999. "House Allocation with Existing Tenants," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 233-260, October.
- Atila Abdulkadiroğlu & Parag A. Pathak & Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun S�nmez, 2005.
"The Boston Public School Match,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 368-371, May.
- John H. Kagel & Alvin E. Roth, 2000. "The Dynamics Of Reorganization In Matching Markets: A Laboratory Experiment Motivated By A Natural Experiment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 115(1), pages 201-235, February.
- Yan Chen & Tayfun S�nmez, 2002. "Improving Efficiency of On-Campus Housing: An Experimental Study," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1669-1686, December.
- Alvin E. Roth & Uriel G. Rothblum, 1999. "Truncation Strategies in Matching Markets--In Search of Advice for Participants," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(1), pages 21-44, January.
- M. Utku Ünver, 2005.
"On the survival of some unstable two-sided matching mechanisms,"
International Journal of Game Theory,
Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 239-254, 06.
- M. Utku Ünver, 2001. "On the Survival of Some Unstable Two-Sided Matching Mechanisms," Experimental 0111001, EconWPA, revised 01 Nov 2003.
- Ehlers, Lars & Masso, Jordi, 2007. "Incomplete information and singleton cores in matching markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 587-600, September.
- Roth, Alvin E., 1982. "Incentive compatibility in a market with indivisible goods," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 127-132.
- Roth, Alvin E. & Sotomayor, Marilda, 1992.
Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications,
in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 16, pages 485-541
- Nalbantian, Haig R & Schotter, Andrew, 1995.
"Matching and Efficiency in the Baseball Free-Agent System: An Experimental Examination,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(1), pages 1-31, January.
- Nalbantian, Haig & Schotter, Andrew & Rogoza, Ken, 1990. "Matching And Efficiency In The Baseball Free-Agent System: An Experimental Examination," Working Papers 90-05, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Olson, Mark & Porter, David, 1994. "An Experimental Examination into the Design of Decentralized Methods to Solve the Assignment Problem with and without Money," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 11-40, January.
- Ehlers, Lars, 2004. "In search of advice for participants in matching markets which use the deferred-acceptance algorithm," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 249-270, August.
- E. Paul Durrenberger, 2005. "Labour," Chapters, in: A Handbook of Economic Anthropology, chapter 8 Edward Elgar.
- Atila Abdulkadiroglu & Tayfun Sönmez, 2003. "School Choice: A Mechanism Design Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(3), pages 729-747, June.
- Haruvy, Ernan & Roth, Alvin E. & Unver, M. Utku, 2006.
"The dynamics of law clerk matching: An experimental and computational investigation of proposals for reform of the market,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 457-486, March.
- Ernan Haruvy & Alvin E. Roth & M. Utku Unver, 2004. "The Dynamics of Law Clerk Matching: An Experimental and Computational Investigation of Proposals for Reform of the Market," Experimental 0404001, EconWPA.
- Greiner, Ben, 2004. "An Online Recruitment System for Economic Experiments," MPRA Paper 13513, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roth, Alvin E., 1989. "Two-sided matching with incomplete information about others' preferences," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 191-209, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ise:isegwp:wp142006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.