money demand and futures
This paper introduces a micro-model of portfolio utility to look at the effects of futures in the allocation process, starting from Lancaster-type utility model (1991), further developed by Glennon and Lane (1996) on money demand; results underline the role of portfolio substitution and crowding out of inefficient financial assets. The synthetic model can be represented by money and financial innovation, lowering the dimension of the assets from 3 to 2. Statistical evidences confirm the validity of assumptions for the US economy at a static level.
|Date of creation:||May 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Cesare Balbo 16, Roma|
Web page: http://www.istat.it/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catharina J. Hooyman, 1993. "The Use of Foreign Exchange Swaps by Central Banks; A Survey," IMF Working Papers 93/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Gary Gorton & Richard Rosen, 1995.
"Banks and Derivatives,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
95-07, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Gary Gorton & Richard Rosen, . "Banks and Derivatives," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 06-95, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Gary Gorton & Richard Rosen, 1995. "Banks and Derivatives," NBER Working Papers 5100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Gorton & Richard Rosen, . "Banks and Derivatives," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 6-95, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Gary Gorton & Richard J. Rosen, 1995. "Banks and derivatives," Working Papers 95-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Peter A. Tinsley, 1998. "Short rate expectations, term premiums, and central bank use of derivatives to reduce policy uncertainty," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1999-14, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ingo Fender, 2000. "Corporate hedging: the impact of financial derivatives on the broad credit channel of monetary policy," BIS Working Papers 94, Bank for International Settlements.
- Shastri, Kuldeep & Sultan, Jahangir & Tandon, Kishore, 1996. "The impact of the listing of options in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 37-64, February.
- Jürgen Von Hagen & Ingo Fender, 1998.
"Central Bank Policy in a More Perfect Financial System,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 493-532, January.
- von Hagen, Jürgen & Fender, Ingo, 1998. "Central bank policy in a more perfect financial system," ZEI Working Papers B 03-1998, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Andrés, Javier & López-Salido, J David & Nelson, Edward, 2004.
"Tobin's Imperfect Asset Substitution in Optimizing General Equilibrium,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4336, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Javier Andres & J. David López-Salido & Edward Nelson, 2004. "Tobin's imperfect asset substitution in optimizing general equilibrium," Working Papers 2004-003, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Paolo Savona & Aurelio Maccario & Chiara Oldani, 2000. "On Monetary Analysis of Derivatives," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 149-175, August.
- Hunter, William C. & Smith, Stephen D., 2002. "Risk management in the global economy: A review essay," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2-3), pages 205-221, March.
- Glennon, Dennis & Lane, Julia, 1996. "Financial innovation, new assets, and the behavior of money demand," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 207-225, March.
- Hsing , Yu & Chang, Hui S., 2003. "Testing the Portfolio Theory of Money Demand in the United States," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio Industria Artigianato Agricoltura di Genova, vol. 56(1), pages 13-21.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isa:wpaper:69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Rossetti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.