Cross-border policy networks in the trinational region of Basel
This paper provides evidence of how national and linguistic borders affect the structure of policy networks. Our analysis of the Basel metropolitan region located across Switzerland, France and Germany considers the case of cross-border public transportation. Using a social network approach based on 44 actors, we show that national borders play a diminishing role in the formation of policy networks for both information exchange and decision making but still limit interactions between German and French-speaking actors. Local actors develop different brokerage roles according to their country of origin, with Swiss actors acting as coordinator and representative brokers vis-à-vis players located in France and Germany.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11, Porte des Sciences, L-4366 Esch-sur-Alzette, G.-D. Luxembourg|
Phone: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 1
Fax: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 700
Web page: https://www.liser.lu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scott Gissendanner, 2003. "Methodology problems in urban governance studies," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 21(5), pages 663-685, October.
- P John, 1998. "Urban Economic Policy Networks in Britain and France; A Sociometric Approach," Environment and Planning C, SAGE Publishing, vol. 16(3), pages 307-322, June.
- Christophe Sohn & Bernard Reitel & Olivier Walther, 2009.
"Cross-border metropolitan integration in Europe: the case of Luxembourg, Basel, and Geneva,"
Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 27(5), pages 922-939, October.
- Christophe Sohn & Bernard Reitel & Olivier Walther, 2009. "Cross-Border Metropolitan Integration in Europe: The Case of Luxembourg, Basel, and Geneva," Environment and Planning C, SAGE Publishing, vol. 27(5), pages 922-939, October.
- DECOVILLE Antoine & DURAND Frédéric & SOHN Christophe & WALTHER Olivier, 2010. "Spatial integration in European cross-border metropolitan regions: A comparative approach," LISER Working Paper Series 2010-40, LISER.
- P John, 1998. "Urban economic policy networks in Britain and France: a sociometric approach," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 16(3), pages 307-322, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:irs:cepswp:2012-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Library and Documentation)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.