Cross-border metropolitan integration in Europe (Luxembourg, Basel and Geneva)
This article questions the integration processes in three small cross-border metropolitan areas: Luxembourg, Basel and Geneva. By referring to an original analysis framework, it evaluates the nature and intensity of the functional and institutional integration and highlights the elements that structure the cooperation between the actors. The analysis shows that there is not necessarily a reciprocal link between the size of the functional area and the extent of the cooperation. Whilst no metropolitan-sized project is on the agenda in Luxembourg, the example of Basel and Geneva shows that the presence of a national border offers an opportunity to invent original forms of governance, increase the autonomy of the local authorities by different types of cooperation which transcend the institutional and territorial divides, and enable the international character of the metropolitan centre to be valued for what it is. In a context of global competition, these features represent an undeniable benefit.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11, Porte des Sciences, L-4366 Esch-sur-Alzette, G.-D. Luxembourg|
Phone: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 1
Fax: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 700
Web page: http://iriss.ceps.lu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ayllón, Sara, 2008. "Modelling poverty transitions in Spain: Do attrition and initial conditions really matter?," IRISS Working Paper Series 2008-08, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Nichols, Austin, 2008. "Trends in Income Inequality, Volatility, and Mobility Risk," IRISS Working Paper Series 2008-10, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Pi Alperin, Maria Noel, 2008. "A comparison of multidimensional deprivation characteristics between natives and immigrants in Luxembourg," IRISS Working Paper Series 2008-14, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Dimitris Pavlopoulos, 2010.
"Escaping low pay: do male labour market entrants stand a chance?,"
International Journal of Manpower,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(8), pages 908-927, November.
- Pavlopoulos, Dimitris & Fouarge, Didier, 2008. "Escaping low pay: do male labour market entrants stand a chance?," IRISS Working Paper Series 2008-12, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Tamilina, Larysa, 2008. "The analysis of welfare state effects on social trust in a multidimensional approach," IRISS Working Paper Series 2008-03, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- dr.Lincaru, Cristina & dr.Predosanu, Gabriela & ms.Brinza, Raluca-Catrinel, 2008. "Process of transition from school-to-work: generator for the initial stage of path dependence in career development," IRISS Working Paper Series 2008-13, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Antonio Abatemarco, 2010. "Measuring inequality of opportunity through between-group inequality components," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 8(4), pages 475-490, December.
- Abatemarco, Antonio, 2008. "Measuring Inequality of Opportunity through Between-Group Inequality Components," IRISS Working Paper Series 2008-11, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Takhtamanova, Yelena & Sierminska, Eva, 2008. "Gender differences in the effect of monetary policy on employment: The case of nine OECD countries," IRISS Working Paper Series 2008-04, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD, revised Jun 2008.
- Prejmerean, Mihaela Cornelia & Vasilache, Simona, 2008. "What's a university worth? Changes in the lifestyle and status of post-2000 European Graduates," IRISS Working Paper Series 2008-05, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Neocleous, Tereza & Portnoy, Stephen, 2008. "A Partially Linear Censored Quantile Regression Model for Unemployment Duration," IRISS Working Paper Series 2008-07, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Kankaraš, Miloš & Moors, Guy, 2008. "Measurement Equivalence and Extreme Response Bias in the Comparison of Attitudes across Europe," IRISS Working Paper Series 2008-06, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)