Cross-Border Governance: Balancing Formalized and Less Formalized Co-Operations
The paper analyses cross-border co-operation with regard to its degree of formalization. Herewith, the focus is not on single cross-border organizations, but on the encompassing governance systems in the respective regions. That means that the specific combination of differently organized cross-border arrangements is analyzed. Cross-border governance systems are facing multiple governance challenges which ask either for a certain degree of institutionalization or for more informal solutions. Based on an empirical comparison of the two experienced, but differently organized, cross-border regions in Europe the Lake Constance Region and the Upper-Rhine Region, the paper illustrates that the organizational variation of cross-border governance systems show specific patterns. From these findings, first arguments are deduced for balancing formalized and more informal co-operations in cross-border governance systems.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carola Fricke, 2015. "Spatial Governance across Borders Revisited: Organizational Forms and Spatial Planning in Metropolitan Cross-border Regions," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(5), pages 849-870, May.
- Sabine DÃ¶rry & Olivier J Walther, 2015. "Contested ‘relational policy spaces’ in two European border regions," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 47(2), pages 338-355, February.
- Antoine Decoville & FrÃ©dÃ©ric Durand & Christophe Sohn & Olivier Walther, 2013. "Comparing Cross-border Metropolitan Integration in Europe: Towards a Functional Typology," Journal of Borderlands Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(2), pages 221-237, August.
- WALTHER Olivier & REITEL Bernard, 2012. "Cross-border policy networks in the trinational region of Basel," LISER Working Paper Series 2012-26, LISER.
- repec:cup:apsrev:v:97:y:2003:i:02:p:233-243_00 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sohn, Christophe & Reitel, Bernard & Walther, Olivier, 2009. "Cross-border metropolitan integration in Europe (Luxembourg, Basel and Geneva)," IRISS Working Paper Series 2009-02, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Christophe Sohn & Bernard Reitel & Olivier Walther, 2009.
"Cross-border metropolitan integration in Europe: the case of Luxembourg, Basel, and Geneva,"
Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 27(5), pages 922-939, October.
- Christophe Sohn & Bernard Reitel & Olivier Walther, 2009. "Cross-Border Metropolitan Integration in Europe: The Case of Luxembourg, Basel, and Geneva," Environment and Planning C, , vol. 27(5), pages 922-939, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gam:jscscx:v:4:y:2015:i:3:p:499-519:d:52946. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (XML Conversion Team)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.