Simulation of land use changes using cellular automata and artificial neural network
This paper presents a method integrating artificial neural network (ANN) in cellular automata (CA) to simulate land use changes in Luxembourg and the areas adjacent to its borders. The ANN is used as a base of CA model transition rule. The proposed method shows promising results for prediction of land use over time. The ANN is validated using cross-validation technique and Receiver Operating Characteristic (ROC) curve analysis, and compared with logit model and a support vector machine approach. The application described in this paper highlights the interest of integrating ANNs in CA based model for land use dynamic simulation.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11, Porte des Sciences, L-4366 Esch-sur-Alzette, G.-D. Luxembourg|
Phone: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 1
Fax: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 700
Web page: https://www.liser.lu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- OMRANI Hichem & CHARIF Omar & KLEIN Olivier & GERBER Philippe, 2010. "An Approach for spatial and temporal data analysis: application for mobility modeling of workers in Luxembourg and its bordering areas," LISER Working Paper Series 2010-16, LISER.
- Muller, Daniel & Zeller, Manfred, 2002.
"Land use dynamics in the central highlands of Vietnam: a spatial model combining village survey data with satellite imagery interpretation,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 27(3), November.
- Muller, Daniel & Zeller, Manfred, 2002. "Land use dynamics in the central highlands of Vietnam: a spatial model combining village survey data with satellite imagery interpretation," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 333-354, November.
- Christophe Sohn & Bernard Reitel & Olivier Walther, 2009. "Cross-border metropolitan integration in Europe: the case of Luxembourg, Basel, and Geneva," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 27(5), pages 922-939, October.
- Lin, Huiyan & Lu, Kang Shou & Espey, Molly & Allen, Jeffery, 2005. "Modeling Urban Sprawl and Land Use Change in a Coastal Area-- A Neural Network Approach," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19364, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:irs:cepswp:2012-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Library and Documentation)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.