Fiscal sustainability across government tiers: an assessment of soft budget constraints
This paper analyses how fiscal adjustment comes about when both central and sub-national governments are involved in consolidation. We test sustainability of public debt with a fiscal rule for both the federal and regional government. Results for the German Länder show that lower tier governments bear a relatively smaller part of the burden of adjustment, if they consolidate at all. Most of the fiscal adjustment occurs via central government debt. In contrast, both the US federal and state levels contribute to consolidation of public finances.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2007|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Diagonal 690-696, 08034 Barcelona|
Phone: +34 93 402 43 13cazza
Web page: http://www.ub.edu/irea/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kirsten H. Heppke-Falk & Guntram B. Wolff, 2008.
"Moral Hazard and Bail-Out in Fiscal Federations: Evidence for the German Länder,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 425-446, 08.
- Heppke-Falk, Kirsten H. & Wolff, Guntram B., 2007. "Moral hazard and bail-out in fiscal federations: evidence for the German Länder," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2007,07, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Massimo Bordignon & Gilberto Turati, 2003. "Bailing Out Expectations and Health Expenditure in Italy," CESifo Working Paper Series 1026, CESifo Group Munich.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Giovanni Peri, 1998. "Regional non-adjustment and fiscal policy," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 205-259, 04.
- Alexander Plekhanov & Raju Singh, 2006.
"How Should Subnational Government Borrowing Be Regulated?Some Cross-Country Empirical Evidence,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 53(3), pages 4.
- Alexander Plekhanov & Raju J Singh, 2005. "How Should Subnational Government Borrowing Be Regulated? Some Cross-Country Empirical Evidence," IMF Working Papers 05/54, International Monetary Fund.
- Matthew B. Canzoneri & Robert E. Cumby & Behzad T. Diba, 2001.
"Is the Price Level Determined by the Needs of Fiscal Solvency?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1221-1238, December.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Cumby, Robert & Diba, Behzad, 1998. "Is the Price Level Determined by the Needs of Fiscal Solvency?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1772, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthew B. Canzoneri & Robert E. Cumby & Behzad T. Diba, 1998. "Is the Price Level Determined by the Needs of Fiscal Solvency?," NBER Working Papers 6471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bohn, Henning, 2007. "Are stationarity and cointegration restrictions really necessary for the intertemporal budget constraint?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 1837-1847, October.
- Redoano, Michela, 2003. "Fiscal Interactions Among European Countries," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 680, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ira:wpaper:200714. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alicia García)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.