Globalisation, industrial diversification and productivity growth in large European R&D companies
This paper aims to assess the impact of both geographic and industrial diversification of economic activities on the productivity performance of large European R&D Multinational Enterprises (MNEs). Based on the worldwide subsidiaries of these firms, we measure the performance of the firms according to their level of industrial diversification and globalisation that we proxy with the presence and importance of subsidiaries in the EU, North America and Asia-Pacific regions. The sample consists of large R&D firms that represent about 80% of total European R&D. In general, the results indicate a positive impact from globalisation on firms’ R&D productivity, especially in the US, while a negative impact for industrial diversification is found.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Inca Garcilaso, s/n 41092 Seville|
Phone: +34 954 48 8318
Fax: +34 954 48 8300
Web page: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 17-45
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1979. "Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 92-116, Spring.
- Henri Capron & Michele Cincera, 1998.
"Assessing the R&D determinants and productivity of world-wide manufacturing firms,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/849, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Henri Capron & Michele Cincera, 2000. "Assessing the R&D determinants and productivity of world-wide manufacturing firms," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/899, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli, 2011.
"R&D and productivity: testing sectoral peculiarities using micro data,"
Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 817-839, December.
- Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Lesley Potters & Marco Vivarelli, 2009. "R&D and Productivity: Testing Sectoral Peculiarities Using Micro Data," JRC Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2009-3, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Potters, Lesley & Ortega-Argilés, Raquel & Vivarelli, Marco, 2008. "R&D and Productivity: Testing Sectoral Peculiarities Using Micro Data," IZA Discussion Papers 3338, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michele Cincera & Claudio Cozza & Alexander Tübke, 2010. "Drivers and policies for increasing and internationalising R&D activities of EU MNEs," JRC Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2010-02, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Meyer, Margaret A & Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, Donald John, 1992.
"Organizational Prospects, Influence Costs, and Ownership Changes,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
665, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Meyer, Margaret & Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1992. "Organizational Prospects, Influence Costs, and Ownership Changes," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(1), pages 9-35, Spring.
- Jensen, M.C. & Murphy, K.J., 1988.
"Performance Pay And Top Management Incentives,"
88-04, Rochester, Business - Managerial Economics Research Center.
- Alfred D. Chandler, 1969. "Strategy and Structure: Chapters in the History of the American Industrial Enterprise," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262530090, March.
- David J. Denis & Diane K. Denis & Keven Yost, 2002. "Global Diversification, Industrial Diversification, and Firm Value," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 1951-1979, October.
- Kamien,Morton I. & Schwartz,Nancy L., 1982. "Market Structure and Innovation," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521293853, September.
- von Zedtwitz, Maximilian & Gassmann, Oliver, 2002. "Market versus technology drive in R&D internationalization: four different patterns of managing research and development," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 569-588, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipt:wpaper:201101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Institute Publication Officer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.