Capital Market Integration: Progress Ahead of the East African Community Monetary Union
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Barry Eichengreen & Pipat Luengnaruemitchai, 2006. "Why doesn’t Asia have bigger bond markets?," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Asian bond markets: issues and prospects, volume 30, pages 40-77, Bank for International Settlements.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Yi David Wang, 2010. "Measuring Financial Barriers Among East African Community Countries," IMF Working Papers 2010/194, International Monetary Fund.
- Feldstein, Martin & Horioka, Charles, 1980. "Domestic Saving and International Capital Flows," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 314-329, June.
- Espinoza, Raphael & Prasad, Ananthakrishnan & Williams, Oral, 2011. "Regional financial integration in the GCC," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 354-370.
- Serletis, Apostolos & King, Martin, 1997. "Common Stochastic Trends and Convergence of European Union Stock Markets," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 65(1), pages 44-57, January.
- Olatundun Janet Adelegan & Bozena Radzewicz-Bak, 2009. "What Determines Bond Market Development in Sub-Saharan Africa?," IMF Working Papers 2009/213, International Monetary Fund.
- Ross Levine & Norman Loayza & Thorsten Beck, 2002.
"Financial Intermediation and Growth: Causality and Causes,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Leonardo Hernández & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.),Banking, Financial Integration, and International Crises, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 2, pages 031-084,
Central Bank of Chile.
- Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman & Beck, Thorsten, 2000. "Financial intermediation and growth: Causality and causes," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 31-77, August.
- Thorsten Beck & Ross Levine & Norman Loayza, 1999. "Financial Intermediation and Growth: Causality and Causes," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 56, Central Bank of Chile.
- Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman & Beck, Thorsten, 1999. "Financial intermediation and growth : Causality and causes," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2059, The World Bank.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier X., 1996.
"Regional cohesion: Evidence and theories of regional growth and convergence,"
European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1325-1352, June.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1994. "Regional cohesion: Evidence and theories of regional growth and convergence," Economics Working Papers 104, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1994. "Regional Cohesion: Evidence and Theories of Regional Growth and Convergence," CEPR Discussion Papers 1075, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sala-i-Martin, X., 1994. "Regional Cohesion: Evidence and the Theories of Regional Growth and Convergence," Papers 716, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Common stochastic trends in international stock markets," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 95-124, February.
- Sven Grimm, 1999. "Institutional change in the West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU) since 1994: A fresh start after the devaluation shock?," Africa Spectrum, Institute of African Affairs, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies, Hamburg, vol. 34(1), pages 5-32.
- Bley, Jorg, 2009. "European stock market integration: Fact or fiction?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 759-776, December.
- International Monetary Fund, 2002. "Capital Account Liberalization and Financial Sector Stability," IMF Occasional Papers 2002/005, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2009. "Uganda: Selected Issues," IMF Staff Country Reports 2009/037, International Monetary Fund.
- Ms. Jacqueline T Irving, 2005. "Regional Integration of Stock Exchanges in Eastern and Southern Africa: Progress and Prospects," IMF Working Papers 2005/122, International Monetary Fund.
- Ip-wing Yu & Laurence Fung & Chi-sang Tam, 2007. "Assessing Bond Market Integration in Asia," Working Papers 0710, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Click, Reid W. & Plummer, Michael G., 2005. "Stock market integration in ASEAN after the Asian financial crisis," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 5-28, February.
- Mr. Amadou N Sy, 2007. "Local Currency Debt Markets in the West African Economic and Monetary Union," IMF Working Papers 2007/256, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2008. "Can Regional Cross-listings Accelerate Stock Market Development? Empirical Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 2008/281, International Monetary Fund.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Taofeek Olusola Ayinde, 2022. "Modelling macroeconomic trilemma and central bank behaviour in Nigeria: a Markov-switching approach," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 55(3), pages 1303-1325, August.
- Danny Cassimon & Dennis Essers & Karel Verbeke, 2016. "The changing face of Rwanda's public debt," BeFinD Working Papers 0114, University of Namur, Department of Economics.
- Essers, Dennis & Cassimon, Danny, 2012. "Washing away original sin: vulnerability to crisis and the role of local currency bonds in Sub-Saharan Africa," IOB Working Papers 2012.12, Universiteit Antwerpen, Institute of Development Policy (IOB).
- Bonga-Bonga, Lumengo & Mabe, Queen Magadi, 2020.
"How financially integrated are trading blocs in Africa?,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 75(C), pages 84-94.
- Bonga-Bonga, Lumengo & Mabe, Queen Magadi, 2016. "How financially integrated are trading blocs in Africa?," MPRA Paper 75716, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lumengo Bonga-Bonga, 2017. "How financially integrated are trading blocs in Africa?," EcoMod2017 10580, EcoMod.
- Jamel Boukhatem & Zied Ftiti & Jean Michel Sahut, 2021. "Bond market and macroeconomic stability in East Asia: a nonlinear causality analysis," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 297(1), pages 53-76, February.
- Thomas Kigabo RUSUHUZWA & Paul Robert MASSON, 2012. "Design and Implementation of a Common Currency Area in the East African Community," Working Papers tecipa-451, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Bryane Michael, 2019. "The Case for an IGAD Development Bank," Journal of Development Policy and Practice, , vol. 4(1), pages 35-65, January.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2008. "Assessing the integration of Asia's equity and bond markets," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Regional financial integration in Asia: present and future, volume 42, pages 1-37, Bank for International Settlements.
- Solarin Sakiru Adebola & Jauhari Dahalan, 2012. "An Empirical Analysis of Stock Markets Integration in Selected African Countries," EuroEconomica, Danubius University of Galati, issue 2(31), pages 166-177, May.
- Yu, Ip-Wing & Fung, Kang-Por & Tam, Chi-Sang, 2010. "Assessing financial market integration in Asia - Equity markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2874-2885, December.
- Bakri Abdul Karim & M. Shabri Abd. Majid, 2010. "Does trade matter for stock market integration?," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(1), pages 47-66, March.
- Ip-wing Yu & Laurence Fung & Chi-sang Tam, 2007. "Assessing Financial Market Integration In Asia - Equity Markets," Working Papers 0704, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Diamandis, Panayiotis F., 2009. "International stock market linkages: Evidence from Latin America," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 13-30.
- Abdul Karim, Bakri & Abdul Majid, M. Shabri & Abdul Karim, Samsul Ariffin, 2009. "Financial Integration between Indonesia and Its Major Trading Partners," MPRA Paper 17277, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chien, Mei-Se & Lee, Chien-Chiang & Hu, Te-Chung & Hu, Hui-Ting, 2015. "Dynamic Asian stock market convergence: Evidence from dynamic cointegration analysis among China and ASEAN-5," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 84-98.
- Raj Aggarwal & Brian M. Lucey & Cal Muckley, 2004. "Dynamics of Equity Market Integration in Europe: Evidence of Changes over time and with events," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp019, IIIS.
- Masao Kumamoto & Juanjuan Zhuo, 2020. "Government Bond Market Integration in ASEAN Countries," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 10(3), pages 289-312, March.
- Chen, Cathy W.S. & Gerlach, Richard & Cheng, Nick Y.P. & Yang, Y.L., 2009. "The impact of structural breaks on the integration of the ASEAN-5 stock markets," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 79(8), pages 2654-2664.
- Andy Wui-Wing Cheng & Nikolai Sheung-Chi Chow & David Kam-Hung Chui & Wing-Keung Wong, 2019. "The Three Musketeers Relationships between Hong Kong, Shanghai and Shenzhen Before and After Shanghai–Hong Kong Stock Connect," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 11(14), pages 1-20, July.
- Roman Grynberg & Teresa Kaulihowa & Fwasa K Singogo, 2019. "Structural Changes of the 21st Century and their Impact on the Gold Price," Journal of Economics and Behavioral Studies, AMH International, vol. 11(3), pages 72-83.
- Gagnon, Marie-Hélène & Power, Gabriel J. & Toupin, Dominique, 2016. "International stock market cointegration under the risk-neutral measure," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 243-255.
- Dimitris Georgoutsos & George Kouretas, 2001. "Common Stochastic Trends In International Stock Markets: Testing In An Integrated Framework," Working Papers 0104, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Hafsa Hina & Abdul Qayyum, 2015. "Re-estimation of Keynesian Model by Considering Critical Events and Multiple Cointegrating Vectors," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 54(2), pages 123-145.
- Eleni Constantinou & Avo Kazandjian & Georgios P. Kouretas & Vera Tahmazian, 2008.
"Common Stochastic Trends Among The Cyprus Stock Exchange And The Ase, Lse And Nyse,"
Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(4), pages 327-349, October.
- Eleni Constantinou & Avo Kazandjian & George Kouretas & Vera Tahmazian, 2005. "Common Stochastic Trends among the Cyprus Stock Exchange and the ASE, LSE and NYSE," Working Papers 0520, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Mr. Martin Petri & Tahsin Saadi Sedik, 2006. "The Jordanian Stock Market—Should You Invest in It for Risk Diversification or Performance?," IMF Working Papers 2006/187, International Monetary Fund.
- Eleni Constantinou & Avo Kazandjian & George Kouretas & Vera Tahmazian, 2005. "Cointegration, causality and domestic portfolio diversification in the Cyprus Stock Exchange," Working Papers 0522, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Syriopoulos, Theodore, 2011. "Financial integration and portfolio investments to emerging Balkan equity markets," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 40-54, February.
More about this item
KeywordsWP; EAC treasury bill market; market infrastructure; EAC capital market integration; EAC treasury bond bond market; EAC debt markets; East African Community; regional integration; monetary union; capital market; equity; stock; debt; bond; beta convergence; sigma convergence; cointegration; EAC Treasury Bill; EAC capital markets; Stock markets; Securities markets; Capital markets; Capital market integration; Treasury bills and bonds; Sub-Saharan Africa; West Africa; Global;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:2012/018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/imfffus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Akshay Modi (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/imfffus.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.