Endogenous Rational Bubbles
Tests on simulated data from an asset pricing model with heterogeneous forecasts show excess variance in the price and ARCH effects in the returns, features not explained by the strong version of the efficient markets hypothesis. An evolutionary game theory dynamic describes how agents switch between a fundamental forecast, a rational bubble forecast and the reflective forecast, which is a weighted average of the former two. Conditions determining the frequency and duration of episodes where a significant fraction of agents adopt the rational bubble forecast leading to large deviations in the price-dividend ratio are discussed.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2001014 is not listed on IDEAS
- Adam, Klaus & Marcet, Albert & Nicolini, Juan Pablo, 2008.
"Stock market volatility and learning,"
Working Paper Series
0862, European Central Bank.
- Klaus Adam & Albert Marcet & Juan Pablo Nicolini, 2014. "Stock Market Volatility and Learning," Working Papers 336, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Klaus Adam & Albert Marcet & Juan Pablo Nicolini, 2011. "Stock Market Volatility and Learning," CEP Discussion Papers dp1077, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Adam, Klaus & Marcet, Albert & Nicolini, Juan Pablo, 2007. "Stock Market Volatility and Learning," CEPR Discussion Papers 6518, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Adam, Klaus & Marcet, Albert & Nicolini, Juan Pablo, 2012. "Stock Market Volatility and Learning," Working Papers 12-06, University of Mannheim, Department of Economics.
- Albert Marcet & Klaus Adam & Juan Pablo Nicolini, 2008. "Stock Market Volatility and Learning," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 732.08, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20010014 is not listed on IDEAS
- Charemza, Wojciech W. & Deadman, Derek F., 1995. "Speculative bubbles with stochastic explosive roots: The failure of unit root testing," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 153-163, June.
- repec:att:wimass:9621 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hofbauer, Josef & Weibull, Jorgen W., 1996.
"Evolutionary Selection against Dominated Strategies,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 558-573, November.
- Hofbauer, Josef & Weibull, Jörgen W., 1995. "Evolutionary Selection against Dominated Strategies," Working Paper Series 433, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Hofbauer, Josef & Weibull, Jîrgen W., 1995. "Evolutionary selection against dominated strategies," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9506, CEPREMAP.
- J. Hofbauer & J. Weibull, 2010. "Evolutionary Selection against dominated strategies," Levine's Working Paper Archive 444, David K. Levine.
- C. H. Hommes, 2001.
"Financial markets as nonlinear adaptive evolutionary systems,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 149-167.
- Hommes, C.H., 2000. "Financial Markets as Nonlinear Adaptive Evolutionary Systems," CeNDEF Working Papers 00-03, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Kevin J. Lansing, 2007.
"Rational and Near-Rational Bubbles Without Drift,"
2007 Meeting Papers
970, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Evans, George W, 1991. "Pitfalls in Testing for Explosive Bubbles in Asset Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 922-30, September.
- Weibull, Jörgen W., 1997. "What have we learned from Evolutionary Game Theory so far?," Working Paper Series 487, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 26 Oct 1998.
- Waters, George A., 2009. "Chaos in the cobweb model with a new learning dynamic," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1201-1216, June.
- Parke, William R. & Waters, George A., 2007. "An evolutionary game theory explanation of ARCH effects," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2234-2262, July.
- Brock, William A. & Hommes, Cars H., 1998.
"Heterogeneous beliefs and routes to chaos in a simple asset pricing model,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1235-1274, August.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1979. "Backward and Forward Solutions for Economies with Rational Expectations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 114-18, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ils:wpaper:20111003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (B. Andrew Chupp)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.