Real Options and American Derivatives: the Double Continuation Region
We thoroughly study the non-standard optimal exercise policy associated with relevant capital investment options and with the prepayment option of widespread collateralized-borrowing contracts like the gold loan. Option exercise is optimally postponed not only when moneyness is insufficient but also when it is excessive. We contribute an important extension of the classical optimal exercise properties for American options. Early exercise of an American call with a negative underlying payout rate can occur if the option is moderately in the money. We fully characterize the existence, the monotonicity, the continuity, the limits and the symptotic behavior at maturity of the double free boundary that separates the exercise region from the double continuation region. We fi?nd that the ?finite-maturity non-standard policy conspicuously differs from the infi?nite-maturity one. Keywords: American Options; Valuation; Optimal Exercise; Real Options; Gold Loan; Collateralized Borrowing; Asymptotic Approximation of The Free Boundary.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via Rontgen, 1 - 20136 Milano (Italy)|
Web page: http://www.igier.unibocconi.it/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.igier.unibocconi.it/en/papers/index.htm Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carl Chiarella & Andrew Ziogas, 2002.
"Evaluation of American Strangles,"
Research Paper Series
83, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Mark Broadie & Jerome B. Detemple, 2004. "ANNIVERSARY ARTICLE: Option Pricing: Valuation Models and Applications," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(9), pages 1145-1177, September.
- Detemple, Jérôme & Emmerling, Thomas, 2009. "American chooser options," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 128-153, January.
- Robert McDonald & Daniel Siegel, 1986. "The Value of Waiting to Invest," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(4), pages 707-727.
- J. D. Evans & R. Kuske & Joseph B. Keller, 2002. "American options on assets with dividends near expiry," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 219-237.
- Medvedev, Alexey & Scaillet, Olivier, 2010. "Pricing American options under stochastic volatility and stochastic interest rates," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 145-159, October.
- Schroder, Mark, 1999. "Changes of Numeraire for Pricing Futures, Forwards, and Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(5), pages 1143-63.
- Anna Battauz & Marzia De Donno & Alessandro Sbuelz, 2012. "Real options with a double continuation region," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 465-475, April.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1993. "A Note on Competitive Investment under Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 273-77, March.
- Broadie, Mark & Detemple, Jerome, 1996. "American Option Valuation: New Bounds, Approximations, and a Comparison of Existing Methods," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(4), pages 1211-50.
- Damien Lamberton & Mohammed Mikou, 2008. "The critical price for the American put in an exponential Lévy model," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 561-581, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:igi:igierp:499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.