Evaluation of American strangles
This paper presents a generalisation of McKean's free boundary value problem for American options by considering an American strangle position, where the early exercise of one side of the payoff will knock-out the out-of-the-money side. When attempting to evaluate the price of this American strangle, it is not correct to simply price the component American call and put options which make up the strangle, and take the sum of their values. The Fourier transform technique is used to derive the integral equation for the price of our American strangle. From this expression, a coupled integral equation system for the strangle's call- and put-side free boundaries is found. While the equation for the price of the strangle is simply the sum of its component American call and put option equations, the free boundary for each side is shown to have a more complex nature. Anumerical algorithm for solving the coupled integral equation system for the free boundaries is provided, and the resulting approximations are used to determine the price of the American strangle position. Numerical comparisons between the strangle price and the price of a portfolio formed from a long position in both an American call an American put option are presented.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parkinson, Michael, 1977. "Option Pricing: The American Put," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(1), pages 21-36, January.
- Kim, In Joon, 1990. "The Analytic Valuation of American Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 547-572.
- Huang, Jing-zhi & Subrahmanyam, Marti G & Yu, G George, 1996. "Pricing and Hedging American Options: A Recursive Integration Method," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 277-300.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Barone-Adesi, Giovanni & Whaley, Robert E, 1987. " Efficient Analytic Approximation of American Option Values," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 301-320, June.
- Geske, Robert & Johnson, Herb E, 1984. " The American Put Option Valued Analytically," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1511-1524, December.
- Peter Carr & Robert Jarrow & Ravi Myneni, 1992.
"Alternative Characterizations Of American Put Options,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 87-106.
- Peter Carr & Robert Jarrow & Ravi Myneni, 2008. "Alternative Characterizations Of American Put Options," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 5, pages 85-103 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1977. "The Valuation of American Put Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 449-462, May.
- Carl Chiarella & Andrew Ziogas, 2004.
"McKean's Methods Applied to American Call Options on Jump-Diffusion Processes,"
Research Paper Series
117, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Andrew Ziogas & Carl Chiarella, 2003. "McKean’s Method applied to American Call Options on Jump-Diffusion Processes," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 39, Society for Computational Economics.
- Ju, Nengjiu, 1998. "Pricing an American Option by Approximating Its Early Exercise Boundary as a Multipiece Exponential Function," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(3), pages 627-646.
- S. D. Jacka, 1991. "Optimal Stopping and the American Put," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 1-14.
- Robert C. Merton, 2005.
"Theory of rational option pricing,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 8, pages 229-288
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Broadie, Mark & Detemple, Jerome, 1995. "American Capped Call Options on Dividend-Paying Assets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(1), pages 161-191.
- Carl Chiarella & Adam Kucera & Andrew Ziogas, 2004. "A Survey of the Integral Representation of American Option Prices," Research Paper Series 118, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Ho, T S & Stapleton, Richard C & Subrahmanyam, Marti G, 1997. " The Valuation of American Options with Stochastic Interest Rates: A Generalization of the Geske-Johnson Technique," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 827-840, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:29:y:2005:i:1-2:p:31-62. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.