The Valuation of American Barrier Options Using the Decomposition Technique
In this paper, we propose an alternative approach for pricing and hedging American barrier options. Specifically, we obtain an analytic representation for the value and hedge parameters of barrier options, using the decomposition technique of separating the European option value from the early exercise premium. This allows us to identify some new put-call "symmetry" relations and the homogeneity in price parameters of the optimal exercise boundary. These properties can be utilized to increase the computational efficiency of our method in pricing and hedging American options.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: U.S.A.; New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics . 44 West 4th Street. New York, New York 10012-1126|
Phone: (212) 998-0100
Web page: http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/finance/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Carr & Katrina Ellis & Vishal Gupta, 1998. "Static Hedging of Exotic Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(3), pages 1165-1190, 06.
- Huang, Jing-zhi & Subrahmanyam, Marti G & Yu, G George, 1996. "Pricing and Hedging American Options: A Recursive Integration Method," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 277-300.
- J. Michael Harrison & Stanley R. Pliska, 1981. "Martingales and Stochastic Integrals in the Theory of Continous Trading," Discussion Papers 454, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Ho, T S & Stapleton, Richard C & Subrahmanyam, Marti G, 1997. " The Valuation of American Options with Stochastic Interest Rates: A Generalization of the Geske-Johnson Technique," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 827-840, June.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Kim, In Joon, 1990. "The Analytic Valuation of American Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 547-572.
- Robert C. Merton, 2005.
"Theory of rational option pricing,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 8, pages 229-288
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Mark Schroder, 1989. "A Reduction Method Applicable to Compound Option Formulas," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(7), pages 823-827, July.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Breen, Richard, 1991. "The Accelerated Binomial Option Pricing Model," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(02), pages 153-164, June.
- Peter Carr & Robert Jarrow & Ravi Myneni, 2008. "Alternative Characterizations Of American Put Options," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 5, pages 85-103 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Peter Carr & Robert Jarrow & Ravi Myneni, 1992. "Alternative Characterizations Of American Put Options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 87-106.
- Carr, Peter, 1998. "Randomization and the American Put," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(3), pages 597-626.
- Broadie, Mark & Detemple, Jerome, 1995. "American Capped Call Options on Dividend-Paying Assets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(1), pages 161-191.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The valuation of options for alternative stochastic processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 145-166.
- Asbjørn T. Hansen & Peter Løchte Jørgensen, 2000. "Analytical Valuation of American-Style Asian Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(8), pages 1116-1136, August.
- S. D. Jacka, 1991. "Optimal Stopping and the American Put," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 1-14.
- Geske, Robert & Johnson, Herb E, 1984. " The American Put Option Valued Analytically," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1511-1524, December.
- L.C.G. Rogers & E.J. Stapleton, 1997. "Fast accurate binomial pricing," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 3-17. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:nystfi:99-002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.