Minimum return guarantees with fund switching rights—An optimal stopping problem
Recently, there is a growing trend to offer guaranteed products where the investor is allowed to shift her account/investment value between multiple funds. The switching right is granted a finite number of times per year, i.e. it is American style with multiple exercise possibilities. In consequence, the pricing and the risk management is based on the switching strategy which maximizes the value of the guarantee put-option. We analyze the optimal stopping problem in the case of one switching right within different model classes and compare the exact price with the lower price bound implied by the optimal deterministic switching time. We show that, within the class of log-price processes with independent increments, the stopping problem is solved by a deterministic stopping time if (and only if) the price process is in addition continuous. Thus, in a sense, the Black and Scholes model is the only (meaningful) pricing model where the lower price bound gives the exact price. It turns out that even moderate deviations from the Black and Scholes model assumptions give a lower price bound which is really below the exact price. This is illustrated by means of a stylized stochastic volatility model setup.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 35 (2011)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jedc|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- T. F. Coleman & Y. Kim & Y. Li & M. Patron, 2007. "Robustly Hedging Variable Annuities With Guarantees Under Jump and Volatility Risks," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 74(2), pages 347-376.
- Boyle, Phelim P. & Hardy, Mary R., 1997. "Reserving for maturity guarantees: Two approaches," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 113-127, November.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1976. "The pricing of equity-linked life insurance policies with an asset value guarantee," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 195-213, June.
- Nielsen, J. Aase & Sandmann, Klaus & Schlögl, Erik, 2011.
"Equity-linked pension schemes with guarantees,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 547-564.
- Bacinello, Anna Rita & Ortu, Fulvio, 1993. "Pricing equity-linked life insurance with endogenous minimum guarantees : A corrigendum," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 303-304, December.
- David Goldbaum & Bruce Mizrach, 2004.
"Estimating the Intensity of Choice in a Dynamic Mutual Fund Allocation Decision,"
Departmental Working Papers
200414, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Goldbaum, David & Mizrach, Bruce, 2008. "Estimating the intensity of choice in a dynamic mutual fund allocation decision," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 3866-3876, December.
- David Goldbaum & Bruce Mizrach, 2005. "Estimating the Intensity of Choice in a Dynamic Mutual Fund Allocation Decision," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 295, Society for Computational Economics.
- Carl Chiarella & Boda Kang & Gunter H. Meyer & Andrew Ziogas, 2009.
"The Evaluation Of American Option Prices Under Stochastic Volatility And Jump-Diffusion Dynamics Using The Method Of Lines,"
International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 12(03), pages 393-425.
- Carl Chiarella & Boda Kang & Gunter H. Meyer & Andrew Ziogas, 2008. "The Evaluation of American Option Prices Under Stochastic Volatility and Jump-Diffusion Dynamics Using the Method of Lines," Research Paper Series 219, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Tepla, Lucie, 2000. "Optimal portfolio policies with borrowing and shortsale constraints," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(11-12), pages 1623-1639, October.
- Black, Fischer, 1976. "The pricing of commodity contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 167-179.
- Chiarella, Carl & Ziogas, Andrew, 2005.
"Evaluation of American strangles,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1-2), pages 31-62, January.
- Carl Chiarella & Andrew Ziogas, 2002. "Evaluation of American Strangles," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 28, Society for Computational Economics.
- Carl Chiarella & Andrew Ziogas, 2002. "Evaluation of American Strangles," Research Paper Series 83, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- El Karoui, Nicole & Jeanblanc, Monique & Lacoste, Vincent, 2005. "Optimal portfolio management with American capital guarantee," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 449-468, March.
- Freddy Delbaen & Marc Yor, 2002. "Passport Options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 299-328.
- Carl Chiarella & Boda Kang, 2009. "The Evaluation of American Compound Option Prices Under Stochastic Volatility Using the Sparse Grid Approach," Research Paper Series 245, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Bergman, Yaacov Z & Grundy, Bruce D & Wiener, Zvi, 1996. " General Properties of Option Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(5), pages 1573-1610, December.
- Steven E. Shreve & Jan Vecer, 2000. "Options on a traded account: Vacation calls, vacation puts and passport options," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 255-274.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Pliska, Stanley R., 1983. "A stochastic calculus model of continuous trading: Complete markets," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 313-316, August.
- Carl Chiarella & Andrew Ziogas, 2009. "American Call Options Under Jump-Diffusion Processes - A Fourier Transform Approach," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 37-79.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:35:y:2011:i:11:p:1880-1897. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.