Specialization Patterns and the Factor Bias of Technology
Development accounting exercises based on an aggregate production function find technology is biased in favor of a country's abundant production factors. We provide an explanation to this finding based on the Heckscher-Ohlin model. Countries trade and specialize in the industries that use intensively the production factors they are abundantly endowed with. For given factor endowment ratios, this implies smaller international differences in factor price ratios than under autarky. Thus, when measuring the factor bias of technology with the same aggregate production function for all countries, they appear to have an abundant-factor bias in their technologies.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via Rontgen, 1 - 20136 Milano (Italy)|
Web page: http://www.igier.unibocconi.it/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.igier.unibocconi.it/en/papers/index.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caselli, Francesco, 2004.
"Accounting for Cross-Country Income Differences,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4703, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alejandro Cuñat & Marco Maffezzoli, 2005.
"Can Comparative Advantage Explain the Growth of US Trade?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0669, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Alejandro Cuñat & Marco Maffezzoli, 2007. "Can Comparative Advantage Explain the Growth of us Trade?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(520), pages 583-602, 04.
- Alejandro Cunat & Marco Maffezzoli, 2005. "Can comparative advantage explain the growth of US trade?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19919, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Alejandro Cunat & Marco Maffezzoli, 2003. "Can Comparative Advantage Explain the Growth of US Trade?," Working Papers 241, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Cuñat, Alejandro & Maffezzoli, Marco, 2005. "Can Comparative Advantage Explain the Growth of US Trade?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5348, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesco Caselli & Wilbur John Coleman II, 2000.
"The World Technology Frontier,"
NBER Working Papers
7904, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:igi:igierp:321. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.