Tax reform and retirement saving incentives: evidence from the introduction of stakeholder pensions in the UK
Faced with ageing populations, OECD governments are seeking policies to increase individual retirement saving. In April 2001, the UK government introduced Stakeholder Pensions - a low cost retirement saving vehicle. The reform also changed the structure of tax-relieved contribution ceilings, increasing their generosity for lower earning individuals. We examine the impact of these changes on private pension coverage and on contributions to personal pension accounts using individual level micro data.
|Date of creation:||27 Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://www.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Karl Scholz & Ananth Seshadri & Surachai Khitatrakun, 2004.
"Are Americans Saving "Optimally" for Retirement?,"
NBER Working Papers
10260, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernheim, B.D. & Scholz, J.K., 1992.
"Private Saving and Public Policy,"
9226, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Richard Disney & Carl Emmerson & Matthew Wakefield, 2008.
"Pension Provision and Retirement Saving: Lessons from the United Kingdom,"
Canadian Public Policy,
University of Toronto Press, vol. 34(s1), pages 155-176, November.
- Richard Disney & Carl Emmerson & Matthew Wakefield, . "Pension Provision and Retirement Saving: Lessons from the United Kingdom," Discussion Papers 07/01, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Richard Disney & Carl Emmerson & Matthew Wakefield, 2007. "Pension Provision and Retirement Saving: Lessons from the United Kingdom," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 176, McMaster University.
- R Disney & C Emmerson & M Wakefield, 2001. "Pension reform and saving in Britain," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(1), pages 70-94, Spring.
- Orazio Attanasio & James Banks & Matthew Wakefield, 2004. "Effectiveness of tax incentives to boost (retirement) saving: theoretical motivation and empirical evidence," IFS Working Papers W04/33, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Ai, Chunrong & Norton, Edward C., 2003. "Interaction terms in logit and probit models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 123-129, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ifs:ifsewp:07/19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emma Hyman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.