Argentina`s Housing Market in the 2000s
In the last three decades, the supply of housing in Argentina has not kept pace with demand. This study analyzes the main drivers of Argentina’s housing market and relates them to the macroeconomic environment in order to advance a policy agenda for housing policy reform. The demand for housing was calculated and tenure choice was analyzed. Structural characteristics affecting Argentina’s housing market include the high concentration of the urban population in a few large metropolitan areas, the association of urban poverty with the housing deficit, and overcrowding. The mortgage market lost its appeal following the 2001-02 crisis due to widespread breaches of contract legitimized through protective legislation (still in place), insufficient long-term financing, and high inflation. The housing deficit could be eliminated in five to eight years if well-coordinated policy initiatives to develop the mortgage market and provide low-income housing were adopted under a decentralized, demand-driven, subsidized program.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sebastian Galiani & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2004.
"Effects of Land Titling on Child Health,"
Research Department Publications
3184, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Marcela Cristini & Ramiro Moya, 2004. "Las instituciones del financiamiento de la vivienda en Argentina," Research Department Publications 4352, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Chiuri, Maria Concetta & Jappelli, Tullio, 2003.
"Financial market imperfections and home ownership: A comparative study,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 47(5), pages 857-875, October.
- Maria Concetta Chiuri & Tullio Jappelli, 2000. "Financial Market Imperfections and Home Ownership: A Comparative Study," CSEF Working Papers 44, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Dec 2000.
- Chiuri, Maria Concetta & Jappelli, Tullio, 2001. "Financial Market Imperfections and Home Ownership: A Comparative Study," CEPR Discussion Papers 2717, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Malpezzi, Stephen & Mayo, Stephen K, 1987. "The Demand for Housing in Developing Countries: Empirical Estimates from Household Data," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(4), pages 687-721, July.
- Francois Ortalo-Magne & Sven Rady, 1998.
"Housing Market Fluctuations in a Life-Cycle Economy with Credit Constraints,"
- Sven Rady, 1998. "Housing Market Fluctuations in a Life-Cycle Economy with Credit Constraints," FMG Discussion Papers dp296, Financial Markets Group.
- Zabel, Jeffrey E., 2004. "The demand for housing services," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 16-35, March.
- Stephen Malpezzi, . "Hedonic Pricing Models: A Selective and Applied Review," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 02-05, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Fontenla, Matas & Gonzalez, Fidel, 2009. "Housing demand in Mexico," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-12, March.
- Alejandra Anastasi & Emilio Blanco & Pedro Elosegui & Máximo Sangiácomo, 2006.
"Bancarization and Determinants of Availability of Banking Services in Argentina,"
BCRA Working Paper Series
200615, Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department.
- Alejandra Anastasi & Emilio Blanco & Pedro Elosegui & Máximo Sangiácomo, 2010. "Bankarization and Determinants of Availability of Banking Services in Argentina," Ensayos Económicos, Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department, vol. 1(60), pages 137-209, October -.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:4733. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.