Multivariate Option Pricing with Copulas
In this paper we suggest the adoption of copula functions in order to price multivariate contingent claims. Copulas enable us to imbed the marginal distributions extracted from vertical spreads in the options markets in a multivariate pricing kernel. We prove that such kernel is a copula function, and that its super -replication strategy is represented by the Fréchet bounds. As applications, we provide prices for binary digital options, options on the minimum and options to exchange one asset for another. For each of these products, we provide no-arbitrage pricing bounds, as well as the values consistent with independence of the underlying assets. As a final reference value, we use a copula function calibrated on historical data.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Unione Sovietica, 218bis - 10134 Torino - Italy|
Phone: +39 011 6706060
Fax: +39 011 6706060
Web page: http://www.esomas.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Rubinstein., 1994. "Implied Binomial Trees," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-232, University of California at Berkeley.
- U. Cherubini & M. Esposito, 1995. "Options in and on interest rate futures contracts: results from martingale pricing theory," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 1-16.
- Joshua Rosenberg, 1999. "Semiparametric Pricing of Multivariate Contingent Claims," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-028, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Rubinstein, Mark, 1994. " Implied Binomial Trees," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(3), pages 771-818, July.
- Breeden, Douglas T & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1978. "Prices of State-contingent Claims Implicit in Option Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 621-51, October.
- Margrabe, William, 1978. "The Value of an Option to Exchange One Asset for Another," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 177-86, March.
- Klein, Peter, 1996. "Pricing Black-Scholes options with correlated credit risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(7), pages 1211-1229, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:icr:wpmath:05-2002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Pellegrino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.