Piecemeal Reform of Trade and Environmental Policy When Consumption Also Pollutes
The design of trade and environmental policy pays increasing attention to consumption-induced pollution linked to trade liberalization. The authors of this paper incorporate endogenous consumption pollution into a dual trade model to assess the welfare elects of coordinated trade and environmental piece-meal reform in a small, open and distorted economy They identify sufficient conditions for welfare-improving reforms of trade and environmental policies. They also discuss briefly the implications of using tradable permits instead of taxes.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 578 Heady Hall, Ames, Iowa 50011-1070|
Phone: (515) 294-1183
Fax: (515) 294-6336
Web page: http://www.card.iastate.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fukushima, Takashi, 1979. "Tariff Structure, Nontraded Goods and Theory of Piecemeal Policy Recommendations," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 20(2), pages 427-35, June.
- Copeland Brian R., 1994. "International Trade and the Environment: Policy Reform in a Polluted Small Open Economy," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 44-65, January.
- Jota Ishikawa & Toshihiro Okubo, 2010. "Environmental and Trade Policies for Oligopolistic Industry in the Presence of Consumption Externalities," Discussion Paper Series DP2010-28, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Mark R. Metcalfe & John C. Beghin, 1999.
"Piecemeal Reform of Trade and Environmental Policy When Consumption Also Pollutes,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
99-wp209, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Mark R Metcalfe & John C Beghin, 2015. "Piecemeal Reform of Trade and Environmental Policy When Consumption Also Pollutes," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 35(4), pages 2282-2287.
- Mark R. Metcalfe & John C. Beghin, 1999. "Piecemeal Reform of Trade and Environmental Policy When Consumption Also Pollutes," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 99-wp209, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- John Beghin & David Roland-Holst & Dominique van der Mensbrugghe, 1997.
"Trade and Pollution Linkages: Piecemeal Reform and Optimal Intervention,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(2), pages 442-55, May.
- John Beghin & David Roland-Holst & Dominique van der Mensbrugghe, 1994. "Trade and Pollution Linkages: Piecemeal Reform and Optimal Intervention," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 99, OECD Publishing.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:17:y:2007:i:9:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arja H. Turunen-Red & Alan D. Woodland, 2004. "Multilateral Reforms of Trade and Environmental Policy," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 321-336, 08.
- Leonard F.S. Wang & Tai-Liang Chen & Ya-Chin Wang, 2007. "Trade liberalization and environmental tax in differentiated oligopoly with consumption externalities," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 17(9), pages 1-9.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ias:cpaper:99-wp209. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.