The Design of R&D Support Schemes for Industry
Scant discussion exists in the literature about the relative design merits of various R&D schemes and most authors treat program design as a black box. In this paper, we assess the design features of three major forms of R&D support: entitlement schemes, competitive schemes and industry R&D boards. We use a combination of evidence to comment on how well these schemes perform in terms of: firm engagement (how does the scheme recruit business interest?); project selection (what criteria are used and who selects the projects?); payment structure (how is financial support structured?) and administrative costs (what is the burden?).
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 3 8344 2100
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Web page: http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garrone, Paola & Grilli, Luca, 2010. "Is there a relationship between public expenditures in energy R&D and carbon emissions per GDP? An empirical investigation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 5600-5613, October.
- Albert N. Link & John T. Scott, 2005. "Evaluating Public Sector R&D Programs: The Advanced Technology Program's Investment in Wavelength References for Optical Fiber Communications," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 30(2_2), pages 241-251, 01.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques & Mohnen, Pierre, 2010.
"Measuring the Returns to R&D,"
MERIT Working Papers
006, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Baker, Erin & Adu-Bonnah, Kwame, 2008. "Investment in risky R&D programs in the face of climate uncertainty," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 465-486, March.
- Klaassen, Ger & Miketa, Asami & Larsen, Katarina & Sundqvist, Thomas, 2005. "The impact of R&D on innovation for wind energy in Denmark, Germany and the United Kingdom," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2-3), pages 227-240, August.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Aghion, Philippe & Bursztyn, Leonardo & Hemous, David, 2010.
"The Environment and Directed Technical Change,"
762, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Leonardo Bursztyn & David Hemous, 2010. "The Environment and Directed Technical Change," Working Papers 2010.93, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Leonardo Bursztyn & David Hemous, 2009. "The Environment and Directed Technical Change," NBER Working Papers 15451, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Aghion, Philippe & Bursztyn, Leonardo & Hemous, David, 2011. "The Environment and Directed Technical Change," CEPR Discussion Papers 8660, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elizabeth Webster & Paul H. Jensen, 2011.
"Do Patents Matter for Commercialization?,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(2), pages 431 - 453.
- Russell Thomson, 2009.
"Tax Policy and R&D Investment by Australian Firms,"
Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series
wp2009n10, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Richardson, Martin & Wilkie, Simon, 1995.
"Incremental R&D Subsidies,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 161-75, March.
- Arrow, Kenneth J & Lind, Robert C, 1970. "Uncertainty and the Evaluation of Public Investment Decisions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 364-78, June.
- Aerts, Kris & Schmidt, Tobias, 2006. "Two for the price of one? On additionality effects of R&D subsidies: A comparison between Flanders and Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-63, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Irwin Feller, 1992. "American state governments as models for national science policy," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(2), pages 288-309.
- Moore, Michal C. & Arent, Douglas J. & Norland, Douglas, 2007. "R&D advancement, technology diffusion, and impact on evaluation of public R&D," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1464-1473, March.
- Bayona-Sáez, Cristina & García-Marco, Teresa, 2010. "Assessing the effectiveness of the Eureka Program," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1375-1386, December.
- Nagano, Mamoru, 2006. "R&D investment and the government's R&D policies of electronics industries in Korea and Taiwan," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 653-666, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iae:iaewps:wp2011n24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (James Davis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.