Kontextgestützte Abfrage in Retrospektiverhebungen: Ein kognitiver Pretest zu Erinnerungsprozessen bei Weiterbildungsereignissen
"Further education and training activities are considered to be recalled only with difficulty. Therefore non-formal and informal training activities have mostly not been collected in retrospective surveys. Within the framework of the IAB-ALWA study 'Working and Learning in a Changing World' also short and relatively insignificant training episodes that occurred sometime in the past are of central interest. For this reason it is examined whether the recalling of activities through a context based re-trieval process is realistic. Thus we addressed in a cognitive pretest the question whether by remembering further education episodes there is a connection between the memory strategies used by respondents and the amount of events as well as the time-lag to the context of memorization - in our case the employment episodes. The results of the cognitive pretest show that respondents remember training activities from the recent past well. For long foregone events context based memory strategies are frequently used. In sum it is shown that the context based retrieval process is an appropiate instrument for the retrospective data collection of training activities which are dated back only few years. The longer the retrospective intervall, the greater the memory problems which cannot be compensated by the context based retrieval process. Based on the findings of the cognitive pretest adopted instruments were applied in the main survey of the IAB-ALWA study and in the follow-up study, the first wave of the adult stage of the National Educational Panel Study (NEPS)." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
|Date of creation:||21 Oct 2010|
|Publication status:||published in: Methoden, Daten, Analysen. Zeitschrift für empirische Sozialforschung, Jg. 5, H. 1 (2011), p. 3-35|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Regensburger Str. 104, D-90327 Nürnberg|
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jahn, Elke J. & Rosholm, Michael, 2010.
"Looking beyond the bridge: How temporary agency employment affects labor market outcomes,"
IAB Discussion Paper
201009, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Jahn, Elke J. & Rosholm, Michael, 2010. "Looking Beyond the Bridge: How Temporary Agency Employment Affects Labor Market Outcomes," Working Papers 10-6, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Jahn, Elke J. & Rosholm, Michael, 2010. "Looking Beyond the Bridge: How Temporary Agency Employment Affects Labor Market Outcomes," IZA Discussion Papers 4973, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stüber, Heiko & Beissinger, Thomas, 2012. "Does downward nominal wage rigidity dampen wage increases?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 870-887.
- Stüber, Heiko & Beissinger, Thomas, 2010. "Does Downward Nominal Wage Rigidity Dampen Wage Increases?," IZA Discussion Papers 5126, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stüber, Heiko & Beissinger, Thomas, 2010. "Does downward nominal wage rigidity dampen wage increases?," FZID Discussion Papers 22-2010, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Stüber, Heiko & Beissinger, Thomas, 2010. "Does downward nominal wage rigidity dampen wage increases?," IAB Discussion Paper 201016, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- William Foddy, 1995. "Probing: A dangerous practice in social surveys?," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 73-86, February.
- Danzer, Alexander M. & Yaman, Firat, 2010. "Ethnic Concentration and Language Fluency of Immigrants in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 4742, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Danzer, A. M. & Yaman, F., 2011. "Ethnic concentration and language fluency of immigrants in Germany," Working Papers 11/09, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Alexander M. Danzer & Firat Yaman, 2010. "Ethnic Concentration and Language Fluency of Immigrants in Germany," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 277, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Heike Solga, 2001. "Longitudinal Surveys and the Study of Occupational Mobility: Panel and Retrospective Design in Comparison," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 291-309, August.
- William Foddy, 1998. "An Empirical Evaluation of In-Depth Probes Used to Pretest Survey Questions," Sociological Methods & Research, , vol. 27(1), pages 103-133, August.
- H. Elizabeth Peters, 1988. "Retrospective Versus Panel Data in Analyzing Lifecycle Events," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 23(4), pages 488-513.
- H. Elizabeth Peters, "undated". "Retrospective Versus Panel Data in Analyzing Life-Cycle Events," University of Chicago - Population Research Center 87-5, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Blair, Edward & Burton, Scot, 1987. " Cognitive Processes Used by Survey Respondents to Answer Behavioral Frequency Questions," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 280-288, September.
- Drasch, Katrin & Matthes, Britta, 2009. "Improving retrospective life course data by combining modularized self-reports and event history calendars : experiences from a large scale survey," IAB Discussion Paper 200921, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Sabine Klinger & Thomas Rothe, 2012. "The Impact of Labour Market Reforms and Economic Performance on the Matching of the Short‐term and the Long‐term Unemployed," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 59(1), pages 90-114, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabdpa:201020. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.