The Political Economy and Institutional Aspects of the Process of Privatizing Farming
The paper includes: (i) a descriptive account of what has actually happened in the Baltic States in regard to agricultural sector reforms; (ii) an analysis of the institutions, policies, laws and regulations underlying the process of privatizing farming and land ownership; (iii) the interaction of these factors and their agricultural policy implications; and (iv) the influence of interest groups and political factors that have allowed reform to move rapidly in some areas while possibly blocking or delaying them in others. Finally, it is argued that the mixture of restitution and the equal distribution of formerly collectivised property has resulted in the excessive fragmentation of agricultural land throughout the Baltic States. The resulting farms as units of production, are usually too small to be commercially viable (especially as productivity levels per person and per ha are very low by western standards), even if ceteris paribus the economic environment was more positive.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Edinburgh EH14 4AS|
Phone: +44(0)131 451 3497
Fax: +44(0)131 451 3497
Web page: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/research/cert.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brooks, Karen & Lerman, Zvi, 1995. "Restructuring of traditional farms and new land relations in Russia," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 11-25, October.
- Kasper Bartholdy, 1996. "Statistical review," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 4(2), pages 527-537, October.
- A. Purju, 1996. "Political Economy of Privatisation in Estonia," CERT Discussion Papers 9602, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Brooks, Karen M. & Lerman, Zvi, 1995. "Restructuring of traditional farms and new land relations in Russia," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 13(1), October.
- Kasper Bartholdy, 1996. "Statistical Review," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 4(1), pages 270-281, 05.
- Maddock, Nicholas, 1995. "Agriculture after socialism The transformation and development of Lithuanian agriculture," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 129-137, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hwe:certdp:9607. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colin Miller)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.