Privatization and Regulation of Public Utilities in Latvia
The interaction between: (i) political constraints, in part based on notions of “nation building,” and independence; (ii) the development of a suitable legal and regulatory environment; and (iii) economic constraints such as a growing state budget deficit and a recent banking crisis, are the subject of this paper. The paper will review and discuss the main political economy and competition issues associated with the regulation and privatization of public energy and telecommunications utilities in Latvia during transition, with particular reference to case studies of Latvenergo and Lattelekom.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44(0)131 451 3497
Fax: +44(0)131 451 3497
Web page: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/research/cert.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Corbett, Jenny & Mayer, Colin, 1991.
"Financial Reform in Eastern Europe: Progress with the Wrong Model,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 7(4), pages 57-75, Winter.
- Corbett, Jennifer & Mayer, Colin, 1991. "Financial Reform in Eastern Europe: Progress With the Wrong Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 603, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J.R. Davis, 1996. "The Political Economy and Institutional Aspects of the Process of Privatizing Farming," CERT Discussion Papers 9607, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- I. Shteinbuka & M. Kazaks, 1996. "Fiscal Adjustment in Latvia under Transition," CERT Discussion Papers 9601, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Major, Ivan, 1991. "Private and Public Infrastructure in Eastern Europe," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(4), pages 76-92, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hwe:certdp:9614. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colin Miller)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.