Economic Reform of the Electricity Industries of Central and Eastern Europe
The purpose of this paper is the following: firstly, to chart how much economic reform of CEE electricity industries has taken place to date; secondly, to discuss why progress has been so limited; and, thirdly, to consider the prospects over the next few years. In charting the economic progress to date, we will consider and discuss progress in electricity price unbundling and rebalancing; in utility commercialisation; in industry and market restructuring and liberalisation; and in privatisation, as well as the development of economic regulation. For the reasons outlined above, we will explore the pricing issues in some detail as they are essential for understanding the difficulties in making progress in the other aspects of economic reform. The analysis concentrates on the 10 countries with which the EU has an Association Agreement and who are stated candidates for EU membership (the EU 10).
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Edinburgh EH14 4AS|
Phone: +44(0)131 451 3497
Fax: +44(0)131 451 3497
Web page: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/research/cert.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. M. C. Rollo & J. Stern, 1992. "Growth and Trade Prospects for Central and Eastern Europe," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(5), pages 645-668, 09.
- Jon Stern, 1994. "Economic regulation in Central and Eastern Europe 1," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 2(3), pages 391-398, 09.
- I. Shteinbuka & M. Kazaks, 1996. "Fiscal Adjustment in Latvia under Transition," CERT Discussion Papers 9601, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Mark E. Schaffer, 1997. "Do Firms in Transition Economies have Soft Budget Constraints? A Reconsideration of the Concepts and Evidence," CERT Discussion Papers 9720, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Gray, D., 1995. "Reforming the Energy Sector in Transition Economies. Selected Experience and Lessons," World Bank - Discussion Papers 296, World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hwe:certdp:9725. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colin Miller)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.