Reference Dependent Preferences and the EPK Puzzle
Supported by several recent investigations, the empirical pricing kernel (EPK) puzzle might be considered a stylized fact. Based on an economic model with state dependent preferences for the financial investors, we want to emphasize a microeconomic view that succeeds in explaining the puzzle. We retain the expected utility framework in a one period model and illustrate the case when the state is defined with respect to a reference point. We further investigate how the model relates the shape of the EPK to the economic conditions.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Spandauer Str. 1,10178 Berlin|
Web page: http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Larry G. Epstein & Stanley E. Zin, 1991.
"The Independence Axiom and Asset Returns,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0109, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bryan R. Routledge & Stanley E. Zin, 2010.
"Generalized Disappointment Aversion and Asset Prices,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 65(4), pages 1303-1332, 08.
- Bryan R. Routledge & Stanley E. Zin, 2003. "Generalized Disappointment Aversion and Asset Prices," NBER Working Papers 10107, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brendan K. Beare & Lawrence D. W. Schmidt, 2016.
"An Empirical Test of Pricing Kernel Monotonicity,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 31(2), pages 338-356, 03.
- Beare, Brendan K. & Schmidt, Lawrence, 2011. "An Empirical Test of Pricing Kernel Monotonicity," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt5572n8pc, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Maria Grith & Wolfgang Härdle & Juhyun Park, 2009. "Shape invariant modelling pricing kernels and risk aversion," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2009-041, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Suleyman Basak & Anna Pavlova, 2013.
"Asset Prices and Institutional Investors,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 103(5), pages 1728-58, August.
- Fousseni Chabi-Yo, 2012. "Pricing Kernels with Stochastic Skewness and Volatility Risk," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 58(3), pages 624-640, March.
- Constantinides, George M, 1990.
"Habit Formation: A Resolution of the Equity Premium Puzzle,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(3), pages 519-43, June.
- G. Constantinides, 1990. "Habit formation: a resolution of the equity premium puzzle," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1397, David K. Levine.
- Angelo Melino & Alan X. Yang, 2003.
"State Dependent Preferences Can Explain the Equity Premium Puzzle,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(4), pages 806-830, October.
- Angelo Melino & Alan X. Yang, 2003. "State Dependent Preferences Can Explain the Equity Premium Puzzle," Working Papers melino-03-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Arturo Estrella & Gikas A. Hardouvelis, 1989.
"The term structure as a predictor of real economic activity,"
8907, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Estrella, Arturo & Hardouvelis, Gikas A, 1991. " The Term Structure as a Predictor of Real Economic Activity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 555-76, June.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/13604 is not listed on IDEAS
- Karni, Edi & Schmeidler, David & Vind, Karl, 1983. "On State Dependent Preferences and Subjective Probabilities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1021-31, July.
- Fousseni Chabi-Yo & René Garcia & Eric Renault, 2008. "State Dependence Can Explain the Risk Aversion Puzzle," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(2), pages 973-1011, April.
- Song, Zhaogang & Xiu, Dacheng, 2014.
"A Tale of Two Option Markets: Pricing Kernels and Volatility Risk,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2014-58, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Song, Zhaogang & Xiu, Dacheng, 2016. "A tale of two option markets: Pricing kernels and volatility risk," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 190(1), pages 176-196.
- Garcia, R. & Luger, R. & Renault, E., 2001.
"Empirical Assessment of an Intertemporal option Pricing Model with Latent variables,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-10, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Garcia, Rene & Luger, Richard & Renault, Eric, 2003. "Empirical assessment of an intertemporal option pricing model with latent variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 49-83.
- René Garcia & Richard Luger & Eric Renault, 2000. "Empirical Assessment of an Intertemporal Option Pricing Model with Latent Variables," Working Papers 2000-56, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- GARCIA,René & LUGER, Richard & RENAULT, Éric, 2001. "Empirical Assessment of an Intertemporal Option Pricing Model with Latent variables," Cahiers de recherche 2001-10, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Wolfgang Karl Härdle & Yarema Okhrin & Weining Wang, 2015.
"Uniform Confidence Bands for Pricing Kernels,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 13(2), pages 376-413.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, December.
- Enzo Giacomini & Wolfgang Härdle & Volker Krätschmer, 2009.
"Dynamic semiparametric factor models in risk neutral density estimation,"
AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis,
Springer;German Statistical Society, vol. 93(4), pages 387-402, December.
- Enzo Giacomini & Wolfgang Härdle & Volker Krätschmer, 2008. "Dynamic Semiparametric Factor Models in Risk Neutral Density Estimation," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2008-038, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Joshua Rosenberg & Robert F. Engle, 2000.
"Empirical Pricing Kernels,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
99-014, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Bakshi, Gurdip & Madan, Dilip & Panayotov, George, 2010. "Returns of claims on the upside and the viability of U-shaped pricing kernels," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 130-154, July.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia & Andrew W. Lo, 2000.
"Nonparametric Risk Management and Implied Risk Aversion,"
NBER Working Papers
6130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine & Lo, Andrew W., 2000. "Nonparametric risk management and implied risk aversion," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1-2), pages 9-51.
- Ke Tang & Wei Xiong, 2010. "Index Investment and Financialization of Commodities," NBER Working Papers 16385, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hum:wpaper:sfb649dp2013-023. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.