Empirical pricing kernel estimation using a functional gradient descent algorithm based on splines
We propose a new methodology to estimate the empirical pricing kernel implied from option data. In contrast to most of the studies in the literature that use an indirect approach, i.e. first estimating the physical and risk-neutral densities and obtaining the pricing kernel in a second step, we follow a direct approach. Departing from an adequate parametric and economically motivated pricing kernel, we apply a functional gradient descent (FGD) algorithm based on B-splines. This approach allows us to locally modify the initial pricing kernel and hence to improve the final estimate. We empirically illustrate the estimation properties of the method and test its predictive power on S&P 500 option data, comparing it as well with other recent approaches introduced in the empirical pricing kernel literature.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dufourstrasse 50, CH - 9000 St.Gallen|
Phone: +41 71 224 23 25
Fax: +41 71 224 31 35
Web page: http://www.seps.unisg.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francesco Audrino & Peter Bühlmann, 2007.
"Splines for Financial Volatility,"
University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2007
2007-11, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia & Andrew W. Lo, 1995.
"Nonparametric Estimation of State-Price Densities Implicit in Financial Asset Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
5351, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia & Andrew W. Lo, 1998. "Nonparametric Estimation of State-Price Densities Implicit in Financial Asset Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(2), pages 499-547, 04.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia & Andrew W. Lo, . "Nonparametric Estimation of State-Price Densities Implicit in Financial Asset Prices," CRSP working papers 332, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Beare, Brendan K. & Schmidt, Lawrence, 2011.
"An Empirical Test of Pricing Kernel Monotonicity,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt5572n8pc, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-44, January.
- Jens Carsten Jackwerth., 1996.
"Recovering Risk Aversion from Option Prices and Realized Returns,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
RPF-265, University of California at Berkeley.
- Jackwerth, Jens Carsten, 2000. "Recovering Risk Aversion from Option Prices and Realized Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(2), pages 433-51.
- Jens Carsten Jackwerth, 1998. "Recovering Risk Aversion from Option Prices and Realized Returns," Finance 9803002, EconWPA.
- Maria Grith & Wolfgang Härdle & Juhyun Park, 2009. "Shape invariant modelling pricing kernels and risk aversion," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2009-041, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- De Giorgi, Enrico & Post, Thierry, 2008. "Second-Order Stochastic Dominance, Reward-Risk Portfolio Selection, and the CAPM," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(02), pages 525-546, June.
- Bakshi, Gurdip & Madan, Dilip & Panayotov, George, 2010. "Returns of claims on the upside and the viability of U-shaped pricing kernels," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 130-154, July.
- Enzo Giacomini & Wolfgang Härdle & Volker Krätschmer, 2009.
"Dynamic semiparametric factor models in risk neutral density estimation,"
AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis,
Springer;German Statistical Society, vol. 93(4), pages 387-402, December.
- Enzo Giacomini & Wolfgang Härdle & Volker Krätschmer, 2008. "Dynamic Semiparametric Factor Models in Risk Neutral Density Estimation," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2008-038, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Giovanni Barone-Adesi & Robert F. Engle & Loriano Mancini, 2008. "A GARCH Option Pricing Model with Filtered Historical Simulation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(3), pages 1223-1258, May.
- Joshua Rosenberg & Robert F. Engle, 2000.
"Empirical Pricing Kernels,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
99-014, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Maria Grith & Wolfgang Karl HÃ¤rdle & Melanie Schienle, 2010. "Nonparametric Estimation of Risk-Neutral Densities," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2010-021, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine & Lo, Andrew W., 2000.
"Nonparametric risk management and implied risk aversion,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(1-2), pages 9-51.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia & Andrew W. Lo, 2000. "Nonparametric Risk Management and Implied Risk Aversion," NBER Working Papers 6130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jun Yang, 2009. "Semiparametric estimation of asset pricing kernel," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 257-272.
- Breeden, Douglas T & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1978. "Prices of State-contingent Claims Implicit in Option Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 621-51, October.
- Wolfgang Karl HÃ¤rdle & Yarema Okhrin & Weining Wang, 2010.
"Uniform confidence bands for pricing kernels,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2010-003, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Yuri Golubev & Wolfgang Härdle & Roman Timofeev, 2014.
"Testing monotonicity of pricing kernels,"
AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis,
Springer;German Statistical Society, vol. 98(4), pages 305-326, October.
- Xiaoquan Liu & Mark Shackleton & Stephen Taylor & Xinzhong Xu, 2009. "Empirical pricing kernels obtained from the UK index options market," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(10), pages 989-993.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usg:econwp:2012:10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Flockerzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.