Partial Linear Quantile Regression and Bootstrap Confidence Bands
In this paper uniform confidence bands are constructed for nonparametric quantile estimates of regression functions. The method is based on the bootstrap, where resampling is done from a suitably estimated empirical density function (edf) for residuals. It is known that the approximation error for the uniform confidence band by the asymptotic Gumbel distribution is logarithmically slow. It is proved that the bootstrap approximation provides a substantial improvement. The case of multidimensional and discrete regressor variables is dealt with using a partial linear model. Comparison to classic asymptotic uniform bands is presented through a simulation study. An economic application considers the labour market differential effect with respect to different education levels.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Spandauer Str. 1,10178 Berlin|
Web page: http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newey, Whitney K & Powell, James L, 1987. "Asymmetric Least Squares Estimation and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 819-47, July.
- Robinson, P M, 1988. "Semiparametric Econometrics: A Survey," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(1), pages 35-51, January.
- Alexandre Belloni & Victor Chernozhukov, 2009. "L1-Penalized quantile regression in high-dimensional sparse models," CeMMAP working papers CWP10/09, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Sokbae Lee & Adam Rosen, 2009.
"Intersection Bounds: estimation and inference,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP19/09, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Sokbae Lee & Adam Rosen, 2012. "Intersection bounds: estimation and inference," CeMMAP working papers CWP33/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Sokbae Lee & Adam Rosen, 2011. "Intersection bounds: estimation and inference," CeMMAP working papers CWP34/11, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Buchinsky, Moshe, 1995. "Quantile regression, Box-Cox transformation model, and the U.S. wage structure, 1963-1987," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 109-154, January.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521845731, September.
- Hahn, Jinyong, 1995. "Bootstrapping Quantile Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 105-121, February.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 1996.
"Bootstrap Methods for Median Regression Models,"
- Gary S. Becker, 1994. "Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis with Special Reference to Education (3rd Edition)," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck94-1, June.
- Kuan, Chung-Ming & Yeh, Jin-Huei & Hsu, Yu-Chin, 2009. "Assessing value at risk with CARE, the Conditional Autoregressive Expectile models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 150(2), pages 261-270, June.
- Efang Kong & Oliver Linton & Yingcun Xia, 2009.
"Uniform Bahadur Representation for LocalPolynomial Estimates of M-Regressionand Its Application to The Additive Model,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
535, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Kong, Efang & Linton, Oliver & Xia, Yingcun, 2010. "Uniform Bahadur Representation For Local Polynomial Estimates Of M-Regression And Its Application To The Additive Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(05), pages 1529-1564, October.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Liang, Hua & Li, Runze, 2009. "Variable Selection for Partially Linear Models With Measurement Errors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(485), pages 234-248.
- Pollard, David, 1991. "Asymptotics for Least Absolute Deviation Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 186-199, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hum:wpaper:sfb649dp2010-002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.